We just took comfort food to a whole new level with these Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potatoes with Ranch
For the love of cheese
And Ranch. For the love of cheese and ranch and bacon.
Honestly, we should probably just stop right here and let you just scroll down through the photos and let them do the talking but the Google likes when we actually talk about something in our blog posts. Because really, there are no words for this mass of cheesy, ranch goodness that’s about to go down here.
Besides that, if we stopped here you’d likely never know that our friends at Primal Kitchen have just released the newest flavor in their line of healthy avocado oil-based dressings – Ranch!
Their new Ranch dressing is free of gluten, dairy, soy, canola oil and sugar – making it Paleo and Whole30-friendly so now you have another option for dressing your lunch salad or dipping your vegetables.
Or you can just pour it all over a big bowl of loaded mashed potatoes like we did. Because Ranch and loaded mashed potatoes are right up there with peanut butter and chocolate when it comes to mind-blowing combos.
Of course, if you want your loaded mashers to be Whole30- and Paleo-friendly you’ll need to leave out the cheese. (Cheese is considered to be “Primal.”) If you want that cheesy flavor you can substitute nutritional yeast for the cheese, too.
They’ll still be awesome, we promise.
Wait for it…
Hang on, we’re about to get to the good stuff (the “pour Ranch all over the things” part) but first we should tell you how these gorgeous loaded mashed potatoes even came to be.
First, we tossed the potatoes into the slow cooker with some broth and garlic and let them cook for 4 hours until tender and fork-mashable. While the potatoes cooked, we cooked up a few strips of our favorite bacon, shredded some grass-fed cheddar cheese and chopped some fresh chives. All in all, it took only about 20 minutes to get this done.
When the potatoes were tender, we mashed them right in the slow cooker then stirred in the bacon, cheese and chives reserving a few pinches of each for sprinkling on top.
Then this happened…
One of the best parts about creating recipes together like we did this past week is that one of us can do the pouring/scooping/sprinkling/stirring, etc. while the other takes about 1,000 photos of the process. #foodbloggerproblems
Let’s just pause a minute to admire that cheesiness and the beautiful pools of creamy Ranch dressing… yeah right!
Get your own bottle of Primal Kitchen Ranch dressing here and use coupon code: REALFOODRDS at checkout to get 10% off your entire order
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water or broth
- ¼ cup ghee or butter (use ghee for Whole30-friendly option- we use Pure Indian Foods ghee)
- 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 3-4 strips crisp cooked bacon, chopped (use Pederson's Natural Farms Uncured Bacon for Whole30- option)
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese + additional for topping (~1 cup) (Omit for Whole30-friendly option or substitute ¼ cup nutritional yeast)
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Halve or quarter potatoes into 1- to 1 ½-inch chunks. Place in slow cooker.
- Add ghee or butter, liquid, garlic and salt.
- Place lid on slow cooker and set heat to HIGH. Cook 4 hours or until potatoes are tender and mashable.
- Using a potato masher or immersion blender, mash potatoes adding additional water or broth as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Add bacon, ranch dressing, cheese and chives and stir well to combine. Top with additional cheese if you'd like.
- Serve immediately or hold in slow cooker set to ‘Warm’ until ready to serve.
Are you a Ranch fan, too? What’s your favorite comfort food side dish? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Pin now to make later!
This post was made possible by our friends at Primal Kitchen. Though we received compensation for this post, the opinions expressed here are – as always -100% our own. Thank you for supporting the great companies we work with thereby allowing us to continue creating great recipes and content for you.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.