Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato is where it’s at!
A hearty slow cooker recipe for all you buffalo chicken fanatics.
Here’s a recipe for you to add to you dinner menu this week. The mix of heat from the Sriracha with coolness from the homemade ranch creates one insanely delicious combination. It gets better because this slow cooker buffalo chicken recipe uses simple and clean ingredients and it’s quick to prepare. You’ll need about 10 minutes of prep time to make the homemade buffalo sauce, throw the ingredients in a slow cooker and to whip up the homemade ranch. When you come back in 4-6 hours all you’ll have left to do is bake (or grill) the sweet taters and shred the chicken. Pretty easy, huh? No need to complicate things here.
If you love buffalo chicken wings as much as my hubby does, this recipe is for you!
I consider this a ‘man-friendly’ recipe. While this isn’t a chicken wing recipe per se, it most definitely will satisfy that ongoing craving for ‘wing sauce’. And even if you’re not a buffalo chicken wing fan (like me), I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how much you like this recipe, too.
If you’d rather serve the slow cooker buffalo chicken in a lettuce wrap or in a regular baked potato – by all means, go for it!
Slow cookers are not just for fall and winter.
Both Jess and I use our slow cookers all year round. Why? You might ask. Here are a couple of reasons.
- On hot and humid summer days, using a slow cooker will eliminate the need for using the oven and raising the temperature inside your home requiring your air conditioner to work even harder.
- Summer is BUSY! Slow cookers are convenient and make meal preparation less of a hassle. You’ll have more time to spend on summer activities you enjoy…or on the never ending yard work.
- You can ‘summer up’ any slow cooker meal by pairing it with a fresh salad or in-season veggies from the garden or Farmers market. For example, our slow cooker chicken tacos is a perfect recipe for a Build-your-own taco night with all of the fresh fixings.
Stuffed in a sweet potato and drizzled with ranch makes for one mouth-watering and insanely delicious meal.
Stuffing the slow cooker buffalo chicken inside of a perfectly baked or grilled sweet potato tones down the ‘kick’ that comes from the Sriracha. However…..if you like the ‘kick’, by all means add a little cayenne to the sauce – see recipe.
And then the ranch! Oh the ranch. This is a must try dairy-free, paleo-friendly recipe and it pairs so wonderfully with this slow cooker buffalo chicken. You’d be missing out if you didn’t take the 5 minutes to make this homemade ranch. Plus, you can use leftovers on summer salads or as a fresh veggie dip. Heck, you might as well double the recipe.
Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is! Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think!
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Whole30 compliant Frank’s Red Hot or Sriracha-not Whole30 compliant)
- 1/3 cup ghee (may sub coconut oil OR butter (not whole30 compliant) )
- 3 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne (optional – adds more heat)
- 8 small baked sweet potatoes (about 7 oz. each uncooked)
- Homemade ranch dressing (optional)
- Place chicken in a slow cooker set on low.
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, combine the hot sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder and optional cayenne. Stir together and heat until ghee is melted.
- Pour sauce into slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with sauce.
- Turn slow cooker to warm (or remain on low) until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken in baked sweet potatoes and drizzle with buffalo sauce and ranch, if desired.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe + 1 small sweet potato
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 500 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 24 g
So tell me, do you use your slow cooker all year round? Comment below.
Pin now to make later!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians.