Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato is where it’s at!
A hearty slow cooker recipe for all you buffalo chicken fanatics.
Here’s a recipe for you to add to your dinner menu this week. The mix of heat from the homemade Buffalo sauce with the coolness from the homemade ranch creates one insanely delicious combination. It gets better because this slow cooker buffalo chicken recipe uses simple and clean ingredients and it’s quick to prepare. You’ll need about 10 minutes of prep time to make the homemade buffalo sauce, throw the ingredients in a slow cooker and to whip up the homemade ranch. When you come back in 4-6 hours all you’ll have left to do is bake (or pressure cook) the sweet taters and shred the chicken. Pretty easy, huh? No need to complicate things here.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links that won’t change your price but will share some commission.
If you love buffalo chicken wings, this recipe is for you!
While this isn’t a chicken wing recipe per se, it most definitely will satisfy that ongoing craving for ‘wing sauce’. And even if you’re not a buffalo chicken wing fan, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how much you like this recipe, too.
If you’d rather serve the slow cooker buffalo chicken in a lettuce wrap or in a regular baked potato – by all means, go for it!
Slow cookers are not just for fall and winter.
Both Jess and I use our slow cookers all year round. Why? You might ask. Here are a couple of reasons.
- On hot and humid summer days, using a slow cooker will eliminate the need for using the oven and raising the temperature inside your home requiring your air conditioner to work even harder.
- Summer is BUSY! Slow cookers are convenient and make meal preparation less of a hassle. You’ll have more time to spend on summer activities you enjoy…or on the never-ending yard work.
- You can ‘summer up’ any slow cooker meal by pairing it with a fresh salad or in-season veggies from the garden or farmers market. For example, our slow cooker chicken tacos are a perfect recipe for a build-your-own taco night with all of the fresh fixings.
Stuffed in a sweet potato and drizzled with ranch makes for one mouth-watering meal.
Stuffing the slow cooker buffalo chicken inside of a perfectly baked or grilled sweet potato tones down the ‘kick’ that comes from the Sriracha. However…..if you like the ‘kick’, by all means, add a little cayenne to the sauce – see the recipe.
And then the ranch! Oh the ranch. This is a must-try dairy-free, paleo-friendly recipe and it pairs so wonderfully with this slow cooker buffalo chicken. You’d be missing out if you didn’t take the 5 minutes to make this homemade ranch. Plus, you can use leftovers on summer salads or as a fresh veggie dip. Heck, you might as well double the recipe.
Looking for guidance with meal planning? Check out Real Plans, a highly customizable online meal planning service that includes over 300 of our very own recipes.
Other buffalo chicken recipes to try
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Muffins
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Can Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken be made in the Instant Pot?
Sure can! Simply follow the instructions as written instead in a slow cooker through steps 3. Set the Instant Pot for 15 minutes on high pressure. When time is up, naturally release for 10 minutes before unlocking lid and shredding.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Whole30 compliant Frank’s Red Hot or Sriracha-not Whole30 compliant)
- 1/3 cup ghee (may sub coconut oil OR butter (not whole30 compliant) )
- 3 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne (optional – adds more heat)
- 8 small baked sweet potatoes (about 7 oz. each uncooked)
- Homemade ranch dressing (optional)
- Place chicken in a slow cooker set on low.
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, combine the hot sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder and optional cayenne. Stir together and heat until ghee is melted.
- Pour sauce into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with sauce.
- Turn slow cooker to warm (or remain on low) until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken in baked sweet potatoes and drizzle with buffalo sauce and ranch, if desired.
Instant pot directions:
- Follow the instructions as written instead in a slow cooker through steps 3.
- Set the Instant Pot for 15 minutes on high pressure.
- When time is up, naturally release for 10 minutes before unlocking lid and shredding.
Buffalo Chicken only (no sweet potato or ranch dressing): 221 Calories, 13 g Fat, 435 mg Sodium, 3 g Carbohydrate, 3 g Fiber, 22 g Protein.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe + 1 small sweet potato
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 500 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 24 g
So tell me, do you use your slow cooker all year round? Comment below.
Pin now to make later!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians.