Cookies for breakfast? Yes, please! A kid & mom approved recipe.
Breakfast is our favorite meal of the day!
How about you? I simply love getting breakfast ready for my family. While we sit around the table and eat together, we do a little read aloud from a new chapter book, talk about what’s in store the day or play a board game. Our breakfasts last a really long time! My favorite place is around the table. More of our “around-the-table” adventures in my Facebook group.
Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies, an easy and healthy recipe.
Waking up an hour or two before the kids wake up, I find myself in the kitchen. Making a batch of these pumpkin breakfast cookies doesn’t take much time at all. They can be made the day before as they store well in an airtight container, but there’s just something about a fresh-from-the-oven breakfast cookie. While they’re still piping hot from the oven and slightly brown on the edges, I’ll slide one onto a plate and enjoy it with my cup of coffee before the kids come downstairs.Gluten-Free Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies are nut-free, egg-free & low in sugar! Click To Tweet
As soon as the kids’ eyes flutter open and they come stumbling down the stairs, their first stop is the kitchen table! They wake with hungry bellies! Each will grab a still-warm breakfast cookie and I feel good about giving them a healthy breakfast. With the only sweetener coming from honey and raisins, I feel comfortable letting the kids eat them as their first meal of the day. Also, with a good amount of fiber and healthy fats in these pumpkin breakfast cookies, they’ll stay full for the whole morning (okay, who are we kidding?? Growing boys are almost always hungry!!). And thankfully they all really love the breakfast cookies! We have tried countless different breakfasts, some are keepers and others are crossed of the list from picky eaters. Follow along on my Instagram for more kid-approved breakfast ideas!
A little bit of pumpkin, a touch of cinnamon and clove and naturally sweetened with a little honey and raisins. To make these pumpkin breakfast cookies nut-free we add pepitas and sunflower seeds for that little bit of crunch everyone likes. All in all, pumpkin breakfast cookies are a budget-friendly recipe, kid-approved, and allergy-friendly all without sacrificing delicious taste!
If you give these Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies a try, I’d love to hear how you like them!
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup gluten free all purpose flour (such as Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbsp flax meal
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup sunflower seed butter
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by covering it with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine flax meal and water. Set aside while it forms an egg-like consistency.
- In a medium bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda and powder, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir until well combined.
- In a small saucepan add honey, coconut oil and sun-butter. Over medium heat, stir until all ingredients are melted together. Remove from heat.
- To the honey and sunbutter pan, add pumpkin puree and flax “egg”. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry mixture. Stir with a large spoon until all the dry ingredients are mixed into the wet ingredients.
- Lastly, add the raisins, coconut shreds and pepitas. Fold into the batter.
- Scooping the batter up by large spoonfuls, place on the prepared parchment covered baking sheet. Divide evenly to get 12 round cookies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If you like this recipe or you’re looking for additional allergy-friendly and mom-approved recipes, give my Homemade Chocolate Chip ‘Clif’ Bars & Gluten-free Harvest Apple Crisp a try, too!
Pin now, make later!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.