Add a little spice to your life with these Indian takeout inspired Chicken Tikka Masala Skewers with Cilantro-Lime Dipping Sauce!
When two favorite foods collide
To say that I’m excited about this recipe is an understatement. I’m over-the-moon ecstatic because I love, love, love Indian food. And I love kebabs and skewers of all kinds. So naturally I’d find a way to marry the two to create the perfect meal or appetizer.
Though I love just about every Indian dish on the menu at my local curry shop I often come back to Chicken Tikka Masala. Not only because I know my kids will eat it but because it’s so good with it’s thick, creamy tomato sauce and warm spices. It’s not complicated, just delicious and comforting (like all food should be, IMHO). Unless, of course, you’re one of more than 30-50 million Americans who are lactose intolerant. Then it’s not so comforting.
Thankfully I found a simple answer. Lactose-free whole milk yogurt from our friends at Green Valley Organics. Instead of the heavy cream you’d find in a traditional tikka masala recipe, I used a mixture of yogurt and lemon juice along with tomato paste and spices to get all the flavor without having to make a special sauce.
Bonus points for being easy to locate at my local grocery store and for it’s super creamy texture and rich, tangy flavor.
Learn more about Green Valley Organics, their story and their entire line of lactose-free organic dairy products here.
Dip it like you mean it
As if making the perfect Chicken Tikka Masala Skewer wasn’t enough, I had to take it a step further and make a cool, creamy dipping sauce. Because dipping, friends! The sauce is especially dreamy if you’ve added a little extra cayenne to the skewers for some heat like I did. Mmmm….spicy Indian food. I’m like that hearts-for-eyes emoji just thinking about it.
Again, major bonus points for the lactose intolerant folks out there (of which I suspect I may be one) who’ve been missing some creamy organic dairy in their lives.
See what I mean? These Chicken Tikka Masala Skewers are just so dip-able. I served them over cauliflower rice with roasted green beans and a salad but a big fat skewer of grilled veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, cherry tomatoes, etc.) would have been so amazing had I planned ahead. Next time!
Yes, next time (read: next week, if not sooner) I’ll be throwing some veggie skewers on the grill too because YOLO. And delicious food that makes my belly happy and pleases everyone at the table is the definition of winning in my book.
Do yourself a big favor this week and make these Chicken Tikka Masala Skewers with Cilantro-Lime Dipping Sauce
Because YOLO, dipping and Indian food.
- 2 lb. chicken tenders (or boneless, skinless breasts cut into 1-inch wide strips)
- ⅓ cup Green Valley Organics Lactose-free Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- ¾ cup Green Valley Lactose-free Plain Yogurt
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, bottom 2-3 inches of stems removed
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in a pan filled with water.
- Place chicken tenders in glass bowl. Add lemon juice and plain yogurt, stirring to coat. Place bowl in fridge while you mix the spices together.
- Combine remaining ingredients (tomato paste through oil) in a small bowl. Add spice mixture to the yogurt coated chicken and mix well to combine. Allow chicken to marinate for up to 30 minutes in the fridge while you prepare the Cilantro-Lime Dipping Sauce.
- Place all ingredients for dipping sauce in a blender or food processor. Blend to combine. Taste a and add additional salt and pepper, as desired.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (425-450℉).
- Thread tenders onto the skewers then grill for 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Serve with Cilantro-Lime Dipping Sauce.
Pin now, make later!
This post was made possible by our friends at Green Valley Organics. Though we received compensation for this post, the opinions expressed here are – as always -100% our own. Thank you for supporting the great companies we work with thereby allowing us to continue creating great recipes and content for you.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.