Peanut Butter Loves Chocolate Chips
The classic peanut butter and chocolate combo was first made famous in 1928 by H.B. Reese, a former dairy farmer and shipping foreman at the Hershey Company and our love affair for this combo has continued ever since. Smoothies, candies, cakes, ice cream and more. It seems that wherever peanut butter is involved you’ll almost always find chocolate too.
Including right here in our peanut butter and chocolate chip energy bites – a healthier twist on the classic peanut butter cup thanks to the addition of flax and chia seeds and whole grain oats. You can take the portable little bites of peanut butter and chocolate heaven with you on the go or savor them slowly with a cup of tea. They freeze beautifully so you can double the batch and keep some in the freezer when the mood strikes or when you need a quick after school snack or something special to tuck into a lunchbox.
If you have kids this is the perfect recipe to get them involved in the kitchen and spend some quality time with them. Kids love to mix, add, stir and roll. I find that the best time to really talk with my kids is when we’re in the kitchen cooking together. There’s less pressure on them when we’re side by side and they’re not on the spot to give an answer to something like, “How was your day at school?” (which as you can guess, usually gets the answer “fine”).
And there’ll be lots of finger licking and chocolate chip nibbling too so be sure to put a hearty meal or snack in those little bellies before you get started on these. Although they’re better for you than candy bars and they’re sweetened with all natural honey, they’re still a treat and meant to be enjoyed in moderation.
That said, if their peanut butter and chocolate goodness is just too much to resist try portioning them out into small zip-top baggies and storing them in the freezer so they’re more out of sight and out of mind than if they’re right there on the counter or in the fridge.
Are you weak in the knees for these peanut butter and chocolate chip energy bites yet?
Ok, sorry. No more teasing! Here’s the recipe.
- 2 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup dairy-free, mini chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life! brand)
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds, divided (may omit and sub additional flax meal)
- ½ cup organic peanut butter* (may sub any nut or seed butter of choice)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey (or maple syrup to make 'em vegan)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: 3 Tbsp. grass-fed collagen hydrolysate or protein powder of choice
- Mix 1 Tbsp. of chia seeds (or flaxseed meal) with 2 Tbsp. of water and set aside to form a gel.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flaxseed meal, coconut, optional chopped walnuts, and remaining chia seeds. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over low heat combine coconut oil, peanut butter, honey, vanilla and salt. Stir until just melted then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add cooled peanut butter mixture and chia gel to oat mixture and stir with wooden spoon or spatula.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Oil hands with coconut oil and roll dough into small round bites.
- Store in covered container in the refrigerator or freezer.