This Mint Chocolate Chip Shake is a healthy, guilt-free twist on the Shamrock shake you grew up with.
Everything you (didn’t) want to know about a Shamrock Shake
Every year about this time the Shamrock Shake makes it’s seasonal debut at a well-known fast food chain and if you’ve ever had one, you understand the allure of this famous treat: cold, creamy, minty and sweet. It’s almost other-worldly for us mint lovers.
But it’s a far cry from healthy as you may have suspected.
The ingredient list may seem simple with just reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, shamrock shake syrup, whipped cream and a maraschino cherry but if you break it down, you’ll see that this dreamy concoction is more science than nature.
What’s really in there?
- Reduced-fat Vanilla Ice Cream Ingredients: Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids, Corn Syrup Solids, Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Disodium Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate.
- Shamrock Shake Ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Sugar, Natural Flavor (Plant Source), Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Yellow 5, Blue 1.
May contain small amounts of other shake flavors served at the restaurant, including egg ingredients when Egg Nog Shakes are available.
- Whipped Cream Ingredients: Cream, Nonfat Milk, Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Contains Less Than 1%: Mono-And Diglycerides, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80, Beta Carotene (Color), Natural (Dairy and Plant Sources) and Artificial Flavor, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E) to Protect Flavor. Whipping Propellant (Nitrous Oxide).
- Maraschino Cherry Ingredients: Cherries, Water, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Malic Acid, Citric Acid, Natural (Plant Source) and Artificial Flavors, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Red 40, Sulfur Dioxide as Preservative (Contains Sulfites).
Ingredient list sourced from McDonald’s website.
Wow… that’s a lot to digest, isn’t it?
Let’s get back to nature with this nutrient-dense and seriously satisfying Mint Chocolate Chip Shake
This shake delivers all the cool, minty creaminess of the original plus the addition of antioxidant-rich cacao nibs (or mini chocolate chips if you’re feeling really decadent) without any of the added sugar, preservatives, flavors and colors you’ll find in the original.
Plus, we’ve packed this shake with healthy, satisfying fats like coconut milk and avocado to keep your blood sugars stable.
Read: No more post-shake shakiness.
The collagen is optional though a great way to add some protein without interfering with the blissful tingle of fresh mint and that natural sweetness from the banana.
Go ahead, dig in. It’s your lucky day!
This real food treat can be enjoyed year round so don’t just limit yourself to the month of March. Think healthy Mint Chocolate Chip “ice cream” on a hot summer night (just add a little more ice) or freeze it into popsicle molds for a kid-friendly, mom-approved after school snack.
- Large handful of greens of choice (such as spinach or power greens)
- 8 oz. canned coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1 cup ice
- ½ avocado
- 1 small banana, frozen
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1-2 Tbsp. cacao nibs or dairy-free chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life! brand mini-chips)
- 2-3 Tbsp. collagen hydrolysate (such as Vital Proteins or Great Lakes) or protein powder of choice
- Place ingredients in a high-powdered blender and blend until smooth.
What’s your favorite shake? Tell us about it in the comments below!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.