It’s my birthday!
Another year has come and gone and what an amazing year it has been! Filled with building a successful online business, lots of travels both for work and fun, opportunities I would have never imagined, joining a CrossFit box and so.much.more. I want take this time to thank you for your support whether you’ve been following this blog for a day or you’ve known me my entire life. It means the world to me and without you, this blogging thing’ wouldn’t be happening! Also, a big big thanks to Jessica, for making this all possible. Not only did I find myself an amazing business partner 3 years ago in New York City where we met at a conference, but even more…I found a friend! And though we live over 1000 miles apart, Jessica has become one of my dearest friends and I’m so grateful for the friendship we have created!
Last year on my 30th birthday, I shared with you 30 facts and tidbits about myself, some of which I had never shared before. So in honor of my 31st Birthday, I thought it would be fun to share 31 things I love. Jessica and I share so much about food and healthy living that sometimes we forget to share who we are, the two dietitians behind The Real Food Dietitians blog. We hope to share a little bit more about who we are this year as well as our personal journeys to better health and happiness. In fact, Jess will be sharing her story next month! Stay tuned for that.
Turning 31 – Sharing 31 Things I LOVE
- My hubby – my biggest supporter, my lifelong partner, and the man I chose to spend forever with. Shane brings so much light into my life, he’s taught me how to work hard, he continuously encourages me to go after my goals and dreams, he’s always positive (except for when our cat chews through his speaker/phone cords or when I don’t tighten the cap completely on a jar or bottle..oops!) and he gives some of the best words of advice. Love him dearly!
- My family & friends – these people are my world! They are my tribe. You know who you are.
- My furry children – Walter, Wilma and Putz bring a smile to my face every single day. Their unconditional love is like no other and I love how excited they get when I come home…whether I’m away for an hour or a week. As I write this post, I’m sitting in my usual spot on my couch with miss Wilma sitting right next to me with not an inch to spare and Walter next to her. I call them my blogging “assistance”. They do a good job of reminding me to take breaks!
- Being a dog (cat) mom – I have so much love for my furry children and I couldn’t imagine life without them. Just innocent, adorable creatures with their own little personalities. And yes, Shane and I sure hope to be parents of little humans soon. We’re ready to take our dog parenting skills to the next level 😉 It hasn’t been easy for us with my current struggles of hormonal imbalances and past history of hypothalamic amenorrhea…it’s been long road but I’m on the mend and slowly getting things back in balance. I believe it will happen when it’s suppose to 🙂
- Coffee – yup, I’m a coffee lover but I do watch my intake of caffeine. Noon is my cut off and I’ve recently switched to 1/2 caf. Oh and I’m learning to love tea!
- CrossFit & Yoga – currently my two favorite forms of exercise. I love the challenge of CrossFit, the community of people, the high intensity workouts, the way it pushes me and the strength I have gained both physically and mentally. CrossFit has taught me how to work through fears and to be okay with the feeling of being uncomfortable. AND PS: I did 55 kipping pull-ups today – woot! Yoga on the other hand helps me to quiet my mind, tune into what my body is telling me and helps me to connect with my thoughts at a deeper level and boy do I love savasana.
- Early mornings – peaceful, time to myself, awake before the rest of the world…I love it! Especially during the summer when the birds are chirping and the sun rises early.
- My home – there’s just no better place than home.
- My cabin – a place in Northern Minnesota on a quaint and quiet lake that has been part of my life since the day I was born and holds many memories that are near and dear to my heart. The place where I spend many weekends during the summer months and the place that helps me to slow down, rejuvenate and just be. You can’t beat a Minnesota summer day at the cabin!
- The mountains – I’m pretty sure I’m a mountain girl at heart and while my home will always be in very rural southern Minnesota, I hope to one day have a second home somewhere in the Mountains. Girls gotta dream! And how nice that my business partner (Jessica) just so happens to live in Colorado 🙂
- Meal prepping – meal prep Sundays have been my thing for over 5 years now. Having a fridge full of healthy and ready-to-eat foods is the best feeling and keeps me eating healthy all week long. And lucky you because we have a meal prep series coming to the blog soon that will include menus, grocery lists, meal prep tips and tidbits and it’s all FREE. Follow me on Instagram to see my weekend meal prep photos.
- Food – well this is no surprise! I love real food, recipe creating, getting new cookbooks, trying new foods and blogging about food. All things food! Some of my favorites include, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, curry, dark chocolate, peanut butter, and raspberry bread pudding (full of gluten & sugar and all).
- The season of Fall – my favorite season! I love the colors of fall, the cool crisp weather, the smell of fall, Shane and I’s annual Fall trip to Blue Fin Bay on the Shores of Lake Superior, and the yearly reminder that change is good as resembled by the beautiful turning leaves.
- Listening to podcasts – I started to truly love running when I started listening to podcasts. Total game changer! I look forward to running because It’s also my time to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and tune into something that either fills me up with positivity or provides me with a learning opportunity. Currently my favorite podcast is Earn Your Happy by my friend, Lori Harder. Highly recommend it!
- Being an Entrepreneur/Blogger – it challenges me, it forces me to step outside of my comfort zone, it allows me to share my passion and creativity, and it has taught me many many life lessons, one of which is to alway looks at life from a 50,000 foot view. There will be days of doubt, there will be site outages, and there will be glitches but I’ve learned that you just have to roll with it and believe that everything will be okay…because it will. If you’re wanting to start a blog or start any business for that matter…the first step is to JUST START! If you have drive and passion, you’ll make it happen!
- Opportunities – I’m beyond grateful for the opportunities that I have been blessed with during this past year. The month of January alone has been incredible with guest blogging opportunities on Whole30, Mark’s Daily Apple, and coming-up Athleta and PaleOMG! A big reason we have experienced massive growth on the blog this month. We went from averaging 150K views a month to now almost 1/2 million views a month! Crazy. Can’t wait to see what else will come our way in 2017!
- Faith – while I’m not an every Sunday church goer…..I believe, I pray, I read faith-based books, and I know that God is always there. He is ultimately who keeps me going! He is who helps me get through my bouts of anxiousness, worry and fear. God is good. He gives me hope and He gives me comfort.
- Farm-to-Table restaurants – Shane and I don’t eat out often given the rural location we live but when we do, I enjoy dinning out at a farm-to-table restaurant, whether it’s a tried-and-true one or a new one. Farm-to-table restaurants truly care about the quality of the food they serve and they support local farmers and growers. I love that. The one nearest to me is a restaurant called Cottage Cafe in Amboy, Minnesota where food is made from scratch and locals have their own coffee cup. If you’re ever in my neck-of-the-woods or live in this area, give it a try! I also recently tried Cup-N-Saucer in Sherburn, Minnesota, another farm-to-table restaurant and local gem where they serve hearty breakfasts, lunches and once a month they have a tasting menu that requires reservations to be made months in advance. It’s quite popular so I’ll be putting my name on the wait list!
- Nature – I spend at least a little bit of time outside each day in the great outdoors. Even on the coldest days. It nourishes my soul, relaxes me and brings me peace. The beauty of nature is like no other and can be found anywhere. I’m definitely looking forward to barefoot season so that I can really soak up the energy from the earth (aka: “Earthing”) and take advantage of all that Mother nature has to offer.
- Weather – Shane and I put bets on how much snow we’ll get or predict the path of a Summer storm. Apparently it’s a thing in Minnesota to ask “how’s the weather”? I catch myself asking that question quite often…oh man I’m that person! And I almost went to college to be a Meteorologist. I’ll leave it at that.
- Farmers markets – the place I hang out on Saturday mornings during late spring to early fall! Filled with good vibes & energy, live music, organic coffee, fresh produce and homemade goodies. I feel healthier just being in that environment and it’s a great way to support my local farmers and growers!
- Inspiring quotes – I get distracted by quotes. An hour can easily pass with me browsing pinterest or google just searching for quotes that inspire me. I’m a big Brene Brown fan. Her quotes speak to me. Anyone else a Brene fan?
- The Instant Pot – meet the newest addition to my collection of kitchen appliances! This will change your life. At first I was intimidated by my Instant Pot that sat in my pantry for over 2 months. But when I finally built the courage to try it out, I quickly realized that it’s quite easy to use. I’ve used it to make the best shredded chicken ever, chicken curry (recipe coming to the blog soon), wild rice, butternut squash, and ground beef from frozen. And Jess recently shared how to make a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot so I’ll be giving that a try too!
- Facials – I look forward to my once-a-month facials given by my dear friend who is an Esthetician and one of the most kindhearted, genuine, beautiful souls I know. Local friends, Ashley Srp at Liv Aveda is your girl if you’re looking for the most relaxing and amazing facial experience! Go treat yourself!
- Walks with my pups – I’m not sure who gets more excited for our nightly walks. Me or the pups! In the winter they’re pretty limited but we definitely don’t miss our nightly walks during the warmer months.
- Gardening – I admit, I’m not the best gardener but I do enjoy it! And this year I’m planning a much smaller, more manageable garden. I had high hopes this last summer that I could keep up with Jess’s massive garden……ummmmmm yeah, them weeds.
- Working from anywhere – when I decided to give this whole entrepreneurial thing a try and start my own business, one thing that was important to me was that I could work from anywhere. From home, from a coffee shop, from a hotel, from the beach…anywhere! I’m not quite at a 100% “work from anywhere” status but it’s pretty dang close! Hardwork has paid off.
- Vacations – vacations force me to slow down and are always spent with loved ones. I’m a hustler by nature so vacations are greatly needed in order for me to take a break, unplug and recharge. Even if it’s simply an overnight getaway with the hubby to the cities (aka: Minneapolis/St. Paul). In 2017, I’m working on taking more breaks and being okay with not ALWAYS being productive.
- Dates with friends – I always look forward to dates with my dearest friends! The time I spend with them is very special to me. The conversations, the connections, the laughs, the advice, etc. I cherish it all!
- Kombucha – fermented, bubbly deliciousness! It’s my drink of choice and GTS is my favorite brand. And if you haven’t tried Lavender Love…you should!
- Changing lives – again, YOU are the reason I get to share my passion every single day! One of the best feelings that almost always brings tears to my eyes, is receiving an email or a comment from a reader sharing the positive impact we have made on their life! You give me purpose. You are the reason why I get up everyday to do what what I do. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to pursue my dreams and create a career I love with the mission to help you become healthier and happier from the inside out!