This Thai Coconut Curry Rice with Vegetables is a Thai-inspired twist on fried rice your whole family will love!
Rice is nice but this Thai Coconut Curry Rice with Vegetables is ah-mazing!
Our Thai-inspired spin on fried rice combines fluffy white rice with creamy coconut milk, warm curry spices and plenty of fresh vegetables for a side dish that’s 1 part comfort food and 1 part game-changer. Imagine a bowl of this rice topped with perfectly grilled salmon or shrimp. Even by itself, with just a big squeeze of lime, it’s perfect!
All the taste of Take-out for a fraction of the cost
I crave Thai red curry dishes made with rich, silky coconut milk but I’m not always keen on take-out prices and the fact that I have to drive across town to indulge that craving. Add to that the fact that my kids are not curry fans – so what’s a curry-loving, driving-hating, budget-conscious mama to do? I make my own, that’s what. And I make it the easiest way possible using the freshest ingredients so I can get my curry fix and get dinner on the table before the dinner-hour meltdowns happen.
That part about my kids not loving curry? It’s true. They do love fried rice though so I thought if I combined the two that maybe they’d be into it. And I was right. You can imagine my surprise when they both took a bite (hesitantly, of course… because you never know what their mother might be tricking them into…) and then another and another. They had no idea it was curry! I felt as though I’d won a gold medal.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 (14-ounce) can ‘light’ coconut milk
- ½ cup water*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup roasted cashews or peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- Lime wedges, optional
- Combine rice, coconut milk, water, red curry paste and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stir gently then cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-17 minutes or until rice is almost done (it shouldn’t be hard but it also shouldn’t be mushy)
- Remove rice from heat and allow it to stand for 10-12 minutes covered before stirring.
- While rice is cooking, add 2 teaspoons coconut oil to a large skillet placed over medium-high heat.
- When oil is melted, add carrots, zucchini and red pepper. Stir fry vegetables until crisp tender, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and green onions and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Stir rice into vegetable mixture. Stir in basil and chopped cashews. Serve with lime wedges.
*Due to differences in rice (type, brand, etc.), altitude, size of the pot, how tight the lid fits, etc. you may need more water for the rice to be fully cooked. Test the rice just before the end of the suggested cooking time and add a few tablespoons more water, if needed, if the rice seems too undercooked.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 330mg
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 5g
What’s your favorite way to make rice? Share in the comments below
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians so credit is given where credit is due. Thank you!