- 6 ounces pretzel twists, crushed (plus a few more for topping; use gluten-free, if needed)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ quarts Alden’s Organic Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, softened
- 1 cup strawberry jam**
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- For topping: Whipped cream, extra pretzel twists, chopped or shaved chocolate
- To make the crust, place pretzels in a food processor and process until mostly fine with a few textured pieces left. Drizzle in the melted butter and pulse again to combine.
- Pour the crust mixture into a 9-inch glass pie plate or 9-inch Springform pan. Press the mixture firmly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate (don’t worry if the crust doesn’t go all the way to the top edge of the pie plate). Place the pie plate in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to help the crust firm up a bit.
- Scoop half of the softened ice cream onto the crust into 5-6 mounds and gently press it down with the back of a large spoon or spatula, disrupting the crust as little as possible.
- Spread ¾ of the strawberry jam over the softened ice cream. Sprinkle with ½ of the chopped chocolate.
- Top the jam layer with the remaining softened ice cream, again spreading it to the edges of the pie plate or pan with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Dot the remaining ¼ cup of jam onto the top of the pie and, using a knife, gently swirl the jam into the ice cream by dragging the tip of the knife through the top 1-inch of ice cream in a swirling pattern.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with chopped chocolate and place it in the freezer until frozen solid (about 4 hours).
- Prior to serving, garnish with whipped cream, pretzel twists, and additional chopped or shaved chocolate, if desired.
**For a Homemade Strawberry Jam option:
1 pound (16 ounces) fresh or frozen strawberries + 2 Tbsp. honey
- If using fresh strawberries, add 2 Tbsp. water along with the honey.
Place strawberries and honey (and water, if using) into a small saucepan with a lid over medium heat. When the strawberries start to simmer, reduce the heat slightly and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally until the strawberries are completely thawed. Use a fork or potato masher to crush the strawberries and continue cooking, covered, and stirring occasionally until reduced to about half. Pour jam into a shallow heat-proof bowl to cool completely (you can speed this up by placing it in the fridge or freezer for 10-30 minutes and stirring occasionally).
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 26g
- Sodium: 60mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 4g