For Sloppy Joes:
- 2 lbs. Organic Prairie Grass-Fed Ground Beef (may substitute ground turkey)
- 2 tsp. Organic Valley Ghee (or cooking fat of choice)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced (any color, preferably organic)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste (preferably organic)
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard (may substitute compliant Dijon mustard)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. fish sauce (may substitute coconut aminos or tamari*)
- ½ tsp. paprika (smoked or sweet; I used smoked paprika)
- 1½ – 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
For Sweet Potato “Buns:”
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds (with peel intact)
- 1 tsp. Organic Valley Ghee, melted (may sub butter or olive oil)
*Note: Tamari contains soy and thus is not allowed on Whole30
- Place a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat (I prefer cast iron). When the pan is hot, add ghee, onions, and peppers. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions start to soften (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add ground beef and garlic. Use a large spoon to break up meat, cook, stirring occasionally until meat is browned and almost cooked through. Drain meat if desired.
- To the meat mixture, add tomato paste, water, mustard, vinegar, fish sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat (about 10 minutes) until hot and ground beef is cooked through and peppers are tender.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days. May also be frozen up to 3 months.
To make Sweet Potato “Buns:”
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a large baking sheet (or two, depending on how many sweet potatoes you’re going to bake) with parchment paper.
- Arrange sweet potato slices in a single layer on baking sheet(s). Brush with ghee.
- Bake for 25-30, flipping halfway through baking time, or until sweet potatoes are tender and lightly browned on the surface.
- Serving Size: ⅛ recipe (meat only)
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 468mg
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 22g