Our Spiced Golden Milk Hot Cocoa leaves sugary, powdery hot cocoa mixes in the dust (plus, it’s good for you!)
Coffee > Hot Cocoa
That’s always been my motto until now. And this is the drink that converted me: Spiced Golden Milk Hot Cocoa.
You see, I’m not a lover of sweet things. I love chocolate but it has to be super dark and only in small quantities so hot cocoa has never been my ‘thing’. Admittedly, I do like the whipped cream (which is divine when dolloped into a hot cup of black coffee!) but this recent round of Whole30 has finally gotten it through my thick, thick skull that dairy and I do not play well together. Which is why this recipe is 100% dairy-free, not too sweet and plenty chocolatey!
No, this doesn’t mean that I’m giving up coffee it just means that instead of my go-to cuppa decaf after a day on the slopes I’ll be reaching for this Spiced Golden Milk Hot Cocoa instead.Treat yourself right with this dairy-free Spiced Golden Milk Hot Cocoa #realfood #paleo Click To Tweet
And, it gets better. It’s also infused with some of my favorite warming spices and a touch of honey and features turmeric for it’s powerful anti-inflammatory properties and rich-earthy flavor.
Really, it’s just a dark chocolate lovers twist on the ancient elixir, golden milk, made with turmeric which makes it all that much more perfect for curling up with at the end of a long day.
Why add turmeric to hot cocoa?
The obvious answer is that it’s good for you. Turmeric is one of those hot new-old fads like bone broth. It’s a food that’s been used for centuries by ancient cultures to promote better health and lately it’s been enjoying the spotlight for it’s powerful anti-inflammatory properties and it’s ability to boost the immune system and promote relaxation.
All this goodness is made possible by a knobby, brightly-colored root that’s rich in the active compound, curcumin. Your average turmeric powder contains up to 3% of curcumin by weight, in case you were wondering (which is why I love the turmeric from Pure Indian Foods – not only is it organic but it’s higher in inflammation-fighting curcumin to help me recover faster from CrossFit and other active outdoor pursuits).
How to get the most benefit from turmeric
Just a minute now, before you rush off to get the recipe for this ridiculously decadent Spiced Golden Milk Hot Cocoa you should know how to get the most benefit from the turmeric – and sound really smart the next time you whip up a batch for some friends after a day of adventuring.
In order to get the full benefits of turmeric you need:
- Good quality, organic turmeric
- A pinch of black pepper to enhance the absorption of the turmeric (don’t worry, you won’t taste it with the cinnamon, nutmeg and cocoa in there!)
- A little fat. The active compound in turmeric is fat-soluble, meaning it needs fat to be absorbed by the body. Fat also gives this drink a luxurious mouthfeel and helps stabilize blood sugars so don’t fear the fat here.
Okay, enough talking. You’ve got to try this Spiced Golden Milk Hot Cocoa!
- 16 ounces unsweetened vanilla coconut milk (we like So Delicious)
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Tiny pinch of black pepper
- 2 tsp. honey (substitute maple syrup for a vegan option)
- 2-3 tsp. coconut oil
- Optional: Non-dairy whipped topping (we used So Delicious Coco Whip)
- Grated chocolate for garnish (optional; we like Taza 85% Super Dark)
- In a medium saucepan, warm coconut just to the point of a light simmer.
- Add cocoa, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, honey or maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Whisk vigorously or use a handheld immersion blender to combine.
- Top with optional non-dairy whipped topping and a sprinkling of grated dark chocolate, if desired.
What’s your favorite way to use turmeric? Is it curry, soup, golden milk? Share in the comments below!
Pin now to make later!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.