For Hot Dogs:
- 1 14-oz. package Applegate Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
- 8 slices Applegate No Sugar Uncured Bacon
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced (remove seeds and membranes for less heat; may substitute pickled jalapeños without added sugar, if desired)
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- ⅓ cup Whole30-compliant mayonnaise (such as Primal Kitchen)
- Whole30-compliant yellow mustard
- Whole30-compliant hot sauce, optional (such as Frank’s Red Hot or Cholula)
- 1 head green leaf or Romaine lettuce, leaves washed and patted dry
For Mexi Slaw:
- 4 cups bagged coleslaw mix (about 9-10 oz.)
- 2 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch dried chipotle pepper, ground (optional)
- Prepare slaw by combining coleslaw mix through chipotle pepper (if using). Toss to combine and set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill to high heat (375-400℉).
- Remove hot dogs from package and pat dry with a paper towel. Wrap each hot dog with a slice of bacon and grill 8-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until bacon is cooked and hot dogs are starting to blister. Turn down the heat as needed to prevent bacon from burning.
- Remove from heat. Place each hot dog in a lettuce leaf and top with diced tomatoes, onions and jalapeño peppers. Squeeze a line of mustard and mayonnaise* onto each hot dog and enjoy.
*Use a plastic squeeze-top bottle (like those sold at home good or kitchen stores or place mayo in a small zip-top bag with a corner cut off to create a piping bag).
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1 hot dog with bacon + 1 tsp. mayo + ½ cup slaw
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 575mg
- Fat: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 13g