- 1 ½ lb. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 Tbsp. ghee or avocado oil (for stovetop and Instant Pot versions only)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, any color; diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed and finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic. minced
- 2 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ cups organic chicken broth (or homemade bone broth)
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk*
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Fresh cilantro and lime wedges for garnish, optional
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, and spices (cumin through black pepper) to the bottom of a slow cooker. Arrange chicken on top of vegetables in a single layer.
- Add broth and place lid on slow cooker.
- Set heat to LOW and cook 6-7 hours or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return chicken to slow cooker.
- Turn heat to HIGH. Add coconut milk, stir and replace lid. Continue heating an additional 10-15 minutes or until soup is heated through.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve in bowls garnished with chopped cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
- Place a large saucepan with lid (or Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp. ghee or coconut oil and allow to melt. When ghee just starts to shimmer, add onions and peppers. Saute 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion and peppers start to soften.
- Add garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook an additional 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Lay chicken in the pan over the onion and pepper mixture. Add 1 cup of broth and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Shred the chicken in the pan using two forks or transfer it to a cutting board to shred before returning it to the pan.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of broth and coconut milk and return to a simmer. Cover pan and allow chili to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve in bowls garnished with chopped parsley and lime wedges, if desired.
Instant Pot Directions
- Select ‘Saute’ function on Instant Pot
- Add oil. When the oil is melted, add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno.
- Saute 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion and peppers start to soften.
- Add garlic and spices and cook an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Press ‘Cancel’. Add chicken breasts and 2 cups of broth.
- Lock lid into place. Turn the vent valve to ‘Sealing’ position.
- Select the ‘Manual’ or ‘High Pressure’ setting and set cook time to 20 minutes.
- When cooking time is up, allow pressure to naturally release 5-10 minutes then release remaining pressure using the quick-release method (i.e. flip the vent valve to ‘Venting’ position)
- Add coconut milk, lime juice, and fresh cilantro. Stir to combine. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
*Light coconut milk may also be used which reduces the amount of fat to 10 grams per serving.
- Serving Size: 1/5 recipe (about 1 ½ cups)
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 676mg
- Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 28g