- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- ¾ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup green olives, pitted and drained (use olives packed in water for less sodium)
- 2 Tbsp. capers, drained
- ½ cup raisins
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro and limes wedges for serving
- Optional: Cauliflower rice, fried plantains and fresh greens like spinach or power greens.
- In a large skillet, add ground beef and onions. Cook until onions start to soften and beef is partially browned. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Transfer meat mixture to slow cooker. Add green pepper, tomato sauce, cumin, oregano and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Place lid on slow cooker and turn heat to low.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours, adding olives, capers and raisins during the last hour of cooking time.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper before serving over cauliflower rice (or rice, greens, etc.)
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 528mg
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 33g