- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, raw
- Salt and black pepper
- 6 cups organic low-sodium chicken broth* (use only 4 cups for Instant Pot version)*
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (~1 1/4-1 1/2 cups)
- 3–4 carrots, peeled and diced (~1 1/2-1 3/4 cups)
- 2–3 celery stalk, diced (~3/4-1 cup)
- 2 tsp. Simply Organic dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic dried thyme
- 2 Simply Organic bay leaves
- 1 cup crimini or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup Organic Valley unsalted butter
- 2 cups Organic Valley Grassmilk half and half (or Whole Milk)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Stir in chicken broth, wild rice, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).
- Add mushrooms during the last 30 minutes of cooking time. At this time you can remove the bay leaves and discard and also remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred, using two forks. Then add chicken back to slow cooker.
- In a saucepan of medium heat, add butter and half and half (or milk), and heat through whisking continuously until butter is melted.
- Stir half and half and butter mixture into the slow cooker. Season with salt (~1 tsp-1 1/2 tsp.) and pepper to taste. Add additional broth or milk as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, fresh thyme and shredded or shaved parmesan, if desired.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breast, broth (4 cups), wild rice, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves and mushrooms in the Instant Pot.
- Lock lid into place. Turn vent valve to ‘Sealing’ position.
- Select ‘Manual’ setting on high pressure and set cook time to 30 minutes.
- When cook time is up, allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes then release remaining pressure using quick-release method (i.e. flip the vent valve to ‘Venting’ position).
- When all of the pressure is released and lid unlocks, remove the bay leaves and discard. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks.
- On the stove, add butter and half and half in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk continuously until well combined and heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot along the whisked butter/half & half mixture. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately, garnish with fresh parsley, fresh thyme and shredded or shaved parmesan, if desired.
*Depending on how much liquid your rice soaks up, you may need to add more broth to achieve a soup-like consistency.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of repipe (~1 1/2 cups)
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 250 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 24 g