- 2 lbs. Boneless Beef Chuck or Round Roast, well-trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or other cooking fat of choice, for optional browning of meat
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in ½-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 ounces no-salt-added tomato paste (½ of a 6-ounce can)
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
Suggested toppings: Sliced avocado, pickled or fresh jalapeno slices, cilantro, lime wedges.
- If browning the meat (this step is optional but recommended), heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven set over medium to medium-high heat. Add beef cubes and cook 2-3 minutes. Carefully flip each piece using a tong or spatula and continue the process until the meat is browned on all sides. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Combine all ingredients (beef through broth) in a slow cooker set on low.
- Cook for 8 hours on low or until beef is tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Serve with desired toppings.
Leftover chili may be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 ¾ cups (without toppings)
- Calories: 356
- Sodium: 485mg
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Protein: 33g