- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breast and/or thighs
- 14 oz. can organic tomato sauce
- ¼ cup canned organic tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. coconut amino
- 3 pitted dates, finely chopped (optional for touch of sweetness)
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
For the “bun:”
To make the Sloppy Joes:
- Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Mix to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Return back to slow cooker, stir to mix all ingredients, and set temperature to warm (or low) until ready to eat.
- Place chicken between two sweet potato rounds. Add desired toppings such as pickles, onion, greens, slaw, mayonnaise, etc.
To make Sweet Potato “Buns:”
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a large baking sheet (or two, depending on how many sweet potatoes you’re going to bake) with parchment paper.
- Arrange sweet potato slices in a single layer on baking sheet(s). Brush with ghee.
- Bake for 25-30, flipping halfway through baking time, or until sweet potatoes are tender and lightly browned on the surface.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe (without sweet potato)
- Calories: 187
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 450 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 24 g