- 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs and/or breast (we like to use a pound of each)
- 1 12-ounce jar Salsa Verde (such as Trader Joe’s)
- 1 4-ounce can fire-roasted green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For serving options: Cauliflower rice (or cooked rice – not Whole30), lettuce leaves or your favorite tortillas (not Whole30).
For optional toppings: Fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sliced jalapeño, diced avocado and/or thinly sliced radishes for serving.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine salsa, green chiles, cumin, and oregano. Pour over chicken.
- Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW heat for 4 – 6 hours.
- Remove lid and allow the chicken to cool slightly before shredding it with 2 forks right in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cauliflower rice, cooked rice or in a lettuce leaf wrap or tortilla of choice with optional toppings, if desired.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Place ingredients in the Instant Pot. Put the lid on and make sure the vent is sealed.
- Set Instant Pot to ‘High Pressure’ setting then set the cooking time for 15 minutes.
- Once cooking is completed, allow natural releasing of pressure for 5 minutes then switch the valve to ‘vent’.
- When all of the pressure releases and the lid unlocks, remove the chicken and shred the chicken with two forks. Toss chicken back into the pot to coat with sauce (or carefully shred the chicken right in the pot, if you’d like).
- Serving Size: 3 oz. chicken without toppings
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 495mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 27g