- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 12-ounce jar Salsa Verde (such as Trader Joe’s)
- 1 4-ounce can fire roasted green chiles
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, lime wedges and/or diced avocado for serving, optional
- Cauliflower rice or lettuce leaves for serving
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine salsa, green chiles, cumin and oregano. Pour over chicken.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on LOW heat for 4 – 6 hours.
- Remove lid and allow chicken to cool slightly before shredding it with 2 forks right in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving dish, top with chopped fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or in lettuce wraps.
Instant Pot Instructions: Place ingredients in the Instant pot. Put lid on and make sure vent is sealed. Set Instant Pot to poultry setting for 15 minutes. Once cooking is completed, allow natural releasing of pressure for 5 minutes then switch valve to vent. When all of the pressure releases and lid unlocks, remove it and shred chicken with two forks. Toss chicken to coat with sauce.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 4 oz.
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 495mg
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 27g