- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breast or thighs (recommend 1 lb. of each)
- 1 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Whole30 compatible Frank’s Red Hot or Sriracha-not Whole30 compatible)
- 1/3 cup ghee, coconut oil or butter (butter, not Whole30 compatible)
- 3 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne (optional – adds more heat)
- 8 small baked sweet potatoes (about 7 oz. each uncooked)
- Ranch dressing (homemade or store-bought)
- Place chicken in a slow cooker set on low.
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, combine the hot sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder, and optional cayenne. Stir together and heat until ghee is melted.
- Pour the sauce into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with sauce.
- Turn slow cooker to warm (or remain on low) until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken in baked sweet potatoes and drizzle with buffalo sauce and ranch, if desired.
Instant pot directions:
- Follow the instructions as written (placing the chicken in an Instant Pot instead of the slow cooker) through steps 3.
- Set the Instant Pot for 15 minutes on high pressure.
- When time is up, naturally release for 10 minutes before unlocking the lid and shredding.
Feel free to substitute a pre-made buffalo sauce such as Primal Kitchen in place of the hot pepper sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder and cayenne.
Buffalo Chicken only (no sweet potato or ranch dressing): 221 Calories, 13 g Fat, 435 mg Sodium, 3 g Carbohydrate, 3 g Fiber, 22 g Protein.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe + 1 small sweet potato
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 500 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 24 g