- 2 lbs. stew meat
- 1 Tbsp. cooking fat of choice
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 small parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 ½ tsp. dried thyme (may substitute 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme)
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary (lightly crushed between your fingers; may substitute 1 ½ fresh rosemary, chopped)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. potato starch (optional)
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Heat ½ Tbsp. cooking fat in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes, then flip and repeat until browned on all sides. Transfer meat to the slow cooker and repeat with remaining ghee and beef.
- Place remaining ingredients in the slow cooker (with the exception of green beans, salt, pepper, and potato starch). Stir, place lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW heat for 8 hours or HIGH heat for 4 hours. Stir in green beans during the last 30-60 minutes of cooking time. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Select ‘Saute’ on the Instant Pot. Melt ½ Tbsp. ghee in the pot. Add half of the beef and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes, then flip and repeat until browned on all sides. Transfer meat to a plate and repeat with remaining ghee and beef.
- Place remaining ingredients in the Instant Pot (with the exception of green beans, salt, pepper, and potato starch). Stir, lock the lid into place, set vent valve to ‘sealing’ and select the ‘Meat/Stew’ setting (about 35 minutes, high pressure).
- Allow for 10 minutes of natural release before flipping the value to ‘venting’ to release any remaining pressure.
- Press ‘Cancel’ then select the ‘Saute’ setting. Add green beans and cook 5-6 minutes or until green beans are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 200 mg
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 27g