Tacos, taco salads, burrito bowls, egg scrambles…the options are endless when it comes to this tender, perfectly spiced slow cooker beef barbacoa.
The busy weeknight dinner solution
What do you put on the menu when the week ahead is busy, busy, busy? Tacos. The answer is always tacos.
Tacos are almost universally loved, they’re easy enough to prepare and they can be enjoyed in an almost infinite number of ways. And since today is Tuesday and it also happens to be another ridiculously busy week at our house, I bring you the ultimate busy weeknight solution: Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa.Slow Cooker Beef Barbarcoa: The ultimate busy weeknight dinner solution #realfood #tacotuesdayeveryday Click To Tweet
This Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa is, in my mind, the ultimate solution in that it’s so simple to prepare. In less than 15 minutes you can have everything loaded into the slow cooker (or a zip-top bag so it’s ready to dump into the slow cooker when you’re ready) and in 7 hours, you’ll have a big batch of the most tender and tasty filling for stuffing into tortillas and lettuce wraps or piling atop a bed of cauliflower rice, salad greens or rice.
It even makes a big batch so you have plenty to freeze for an easy reheat-and-eat meal later on in the month when you just can’t wrap your brain around cooking (<< that sounds like me this week).
Take the easy way out this week.
Notice I said easy and not flavorless because this Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa is anything but flavorless. In fact, it rivals the barbacoa you’ll find at a certain fast-casual Mexican restaurant chain that’s pretty popular with those doing a Whole30, those with busy lives and well, just about everyone looking for a Mexican food fix when they’re short on time.
- 3 lbs. Organic Prairie Organic Beef Chuck Roast, cut into 2-inch cubes and trimmed of fat
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1¼ tsp. Simply Organic garlic powder)
- 3 Tbsp. organic, no salt added tomato paste
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic ground chipotle pepper (more if you want more spice)
- ½ medium (or 1 small) onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Simply Organic bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Simply Organic ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Simply Organic dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp. Simply Organic ground cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic black pepper
- ¼ cup water or organic low-sodium chicken or beef broth
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours or until meat is tender and shreds easily.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve in lettuce wraps or stuffed in a baked sweet potato with toppings of choice.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
What’s your favorite busy weeknight meal? Share in the comments below!
Pin this & Share the love!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.