For the Shepherd’s Pie Filling:
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary or dried herb of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
For the Sweet Potato Topping:
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 12 ounces each), peeled and cubed (~6 cups cubed)
- 1 tablespoons butter (may substitute ghee or coconut oil for Whole30)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
*We recommend making this in a 10-inch cast iron skillet so that you can cook everything in the skillet, top it with the mashed sweet potatoes and bake it right in the cast iron.
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, saute the ground beef, chopped carrots, green pepper, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Continue cooking until the carrots are soft, about 12-15 minutes. Begin making the sweet potato topping while the filling cooks.
- To make the topping: Steam or bake (at 375℉) the sweet potatoes until fork tender. Then add all of the topping ingredients to a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. NOTE: If using white potatoes, we recommend mashing them by hand rather than blending to prevent them from getting pasty.
- Back to the filling: Once the carrots are soft, stir in tomato paste, chili powder, rosemary, salt, black pepper, and water.
- Final step: Top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. If you’re not using an oven-safe 10-inch cast-iron skillet, transfer the meat filling to a casserole dish or 9×9 inch baking dish and top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. Sprinkle the top with a little sea salt and chili powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
To reheat if frozen: Remove from freezer and place in fridge the day before you plan to serve it. Simply reheat in the oven set at 375℉ for about 20-30 minutes or until center is hot (~165℉). You can reheat from frozen, it will however take a little longer. If reheating from frozen, cover with foil for the first 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until center is hot (~165℉).
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 350 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 26 g