- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef, lamb or bison
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3 oz. tomato paste (about 6 Tbsp.) (such as Muir Glen)
- 1/4 cup water
Sweet Potato Topping:
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- In a skillet on medium heat add the ground beef, chopped carrots, onions, peppers, mushrooms and minced garlic.
- Cook on medium heat until carrots are soft, about 12-15 minutes. Begin making the topping while the meat filling cooks.
- Once the carrots are soft, stir in tomato paste, water, seasonings, salt and pepper.
- For the topping: Steam or bake (at 375℉.) the sweet potatoes until fork tender. Then add all of the topping ingredients to a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. NOTE: If using white potatoes, we recommend mashing them by hand rather than blending to prevent them from getting pasty.
- Final step: transfer the meat filling to a casserole dish (9 x 9 inch dish will work) or 10 inch cast iron skillet and top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. Dash with sea salt and chili powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians so credit is given where credit is due. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 394
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 350 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 26 g