Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Topping – a Whole30 Friendly recipe!
A hearty and satisfying meal for the entire family to enjoy. Like the Paleo Granola, it takes me (Stacie) back to the beginning when I first started creating recipes. In fact, I also featured this in one of my cooking classes which happened to be a class favorite recipe.
This Shepherd’s Pie is Freezer friendly, too.
This dish freezes nicely, so you can go ahead and double the recipe and freeze half for a future meal. Having a freezer full of already prepared meals makes for easy weeknight dinners. My freezer is stocked with several servings of Shepherd’s Pie and I even took it a step further by portioning out each serving into individual containers. I placed a couple of servings in the fridge for the days to come and the rest of the containers into the freezer for future meals. Who doesn’t love leftovers?!Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping - a Whole30 Friendly recipe! Click To Tweet
Feel free to substitute regular potatoes for the sweet potatoes if you wish.
I’m a sweet potato lover, but if you’d prefer a regular mashed potato topping or it’s what you have on hand – no need to make a special trip to the grocery store, feel free to make that simple substitution. A cauliflower-parsnip mash topping is also quite delicious and makes a great low carb alternative. If you’re doubling the recipe you can top one of the pies with a sweet potato mash and one with a cauliflower mash – the best of both worlds!
Serve it with a fresh mixed green salad or steamed green beans and you have yourself a balanced meal.
Because this recipe includes an adequate amount of proteins, carbohydrates, fats and fiber it makes for a nicely balanced meal. And we all like a big hearty meal every once in a while so I think you’ll be pretty satisfied with the portion size of this dish.
Ingredient shout out: Sweet potatoes – a nutrient dense carb.
- High in Vitamin B6 which reduces homocysteine in the blood reducing risk of heart disease.
- Excellent source of Vitamin C which enhances immunity, produces collagen for healthy skin & bones and promotes healthy digestion.
- A good source of Vitamin D which is important for energy and mood as well as bone and skin health.
- The rich orange color indicates that sweet potatoes are high in carotenoids like beta carotene, a precursor to Vitamin A which promotes eye health and enhances immunity.
- Rich in anti-aging antioxidants (carotenoids).
On the Whole 30 or not – this recipe is one you’ll love.
Note: this recipe was updated on August 27th, 2017 with minor adjustments made. I found that the egg white/flax gel is not necessary which means one less ingredient!
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef, lamb or bison (Pederson's Natural Farms)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. sea salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 3 oz. tomato paste (about 6 Tbsp.) (such as Muir Glen)
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- In a skillet on medium heat add the ground beef, chopped carrots, onions, peppers, mushrooms and minced garlic.
- Cook on medium heat until carrots are soft, about 12-15 minutes. Begin making the topping while the meat filling cooks.
- Once the carrots are soft, stir in tomato paste, water, seasonings, salt and pepper.
- For the topping: Steam or bake (at 375℉.) the sweet potatoes until fork tender. Then add all of the topping ingredients to a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth.
- Final step: transfer the meat filling to a casserole dish (9 x 9 inch dish will work) or 10 inch cast iron skillet and top the meat filling with the sweet potato mash. Dash with sea salt and chili powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Give this Whole 30 friendly recipe a try and let us know what you think! Also, would love to hear if you have completed a Whole 30?
Pin now to make later!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.