- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved and cooked as desired (about 2½ – 3 lbs.)
- 2 tsp. avocado or olive oil (or cooking fat of choice)
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 small bell pepper (any color), diced small
- 1 medium zucchini, diced small
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ½ lb. ground turkey
- 1 (24-ounce) jar Primal Kitchen Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce
- 2 ounces pepperoni* (pork or turkey), cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese (about 4 ounces – optional)
- Fresh basil, finely sliced (optional)
- Cook spaghetti squash using your preferred method. When squash is cooked, allow it to cool for several minutes before scraping the flesh from the skin (leaving the “shells” intact). Set aside.
- If the oven isn’t already on, preheat it to 375℉.
- While the squash cooks, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add avocado oil and heat until the oil starts to shimmer. Add onions, peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until onions start to soften.
- Add garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir and cook an additional 1 minute or until garlic and herbs are fragrant.
- Add ground turkey and cook, using a spoon or spatula to break up the meat, for another 7-8 minutes or until the turkey is cooked through and no longer pink and the veggies are tender.
- Add marinara sauce to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add squash, pepperoni and ½ cup cheese (if using) to the pan and stir well to combine.
- Stuff squash mixture back into the squash shells/skins and place on a rimmed baking sheet or spread the mixture into a 9×9-inch baking dish.
- Place the baking sheet (or pan) in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese (if using) and continue to bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove squash from the oven and sprinkle with fresh basil just before serving, if desired.
*To make this dish Whole30-friendly: You may need to omit the pepperoni (in addition to the cheese) if you can’t find a compliant option.
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 444
- Sugar: 18 g
- Sodium: 924 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 27 g