- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained (we used Tiny Hero Quinoa*)
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into ¼-inch ‘half-moons”
- 1 medium bell pepper, any color, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ½ c. warm water
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces turkey pepperoni slices, cut into fourths
- Fresh basil, optional
- Fresh grated parmesan cheese, optional
- Red pepper flakes, optional
* Note – If using Tiny Hero Quinoa, cooking directions differ slightly from regular quinoa so you’ll want to cook it according to the package directions instead of those in Step 2 below.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease a small casserole dish or 9×9-inch glass baking dish with oil and set aside.
- Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cool running water for 30-60 seconds. Transfer to a medium saucepan and add 2 cups water or broth. Bring to a coil then cover pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow quinoa to cook, covered, for 15 minutes or liquid is absorbed. Let stand covered for 5 minutes then fluff with fork.
- While quinoa is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil. When oil just begins to shimmer, add onions and peppers. Saute for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions starts to soften. Add zucchini and garlic. Continue to cook an additional 7-8 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- While veggies are cooking, combine ingredients for sauce: tomato paste through black pepper, including the 2 Tbsp. of remaining olive oil. Stir until well combined, taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Add quinoa, sauce, pepperoni and ¾ cup mozzarella cheese to the veggies in the skillet, reserving a few pepperoni slices for the top.
- Transfer to a 9×9-inch baking dish (or leave it in the skillet if you’re using cast iron!)
- Sprinkle top of casserole with remaining ¼ cup mozzarella cheese and reserved pepperoni slices.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until hot throughout and cheese is bubbly on top. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/5th recipe
- Calories: 348
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 651mg
- Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 17g