For the bars:
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal*
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (may sub additional crisp rice cereal)
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey (may sub maple syrup for vegan-friendly)
- 2 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 Tbsp. water
For the chocolate drizzle:
- 4 Tbsp. chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- In a medium bowl combine the quick oats, rice krispies, coconut, flaxseed meal, and chia seeds. Stir to combine then add the rest of the bar ingredients (except for the water). Mix well. The dough should stick together easily. If not, mix in 1 Tbsp. of water at a time until dough sticks together nicely.
- Line an 8×8 or 9×9 pan with parchment paper so that paper overlaps edges. Transfer the dough to the pan. Spread the dough out evenly and with your hands press dough VERY firmly into the pan.
- Place pan in the freezer for at least 30 minutes (this can be done the day before or even a few days before).
- For the chocolate drizzle: combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir continuously until smooth and drizzly. You may also use a microwave at 50% power for 30-second increments stirring between each increment until smooth and drizzly.
- After bars have been in the freezer, remove the bars from the pan by grabbing onto the parchment paper flaps and place on a cutting board.
- Drizzle the chocolate evenly over the bars. The chocolate should harden quickly since the bars are cold.
- With a sharp knife, cut the bars into 16 squares. Serve and enjoy!
- Bars hold together best when stored in the fridge or freezer.
- May use regular rolled oats. If you do, pulse the oats in a food processor 15-20 times or until they resemble the size and texture of quick oats. The processed oats should equal 2 cups.
- May mix in hemp hearts with the flaxseed meal so long as it equals 1/3 cup.
- Recommend storing bars in the fridge or freezer until just before serving.
- For a thicker chocolate topping, double or triple the chocolate drizzle portion of the recipe.
- Kelloggs Rice Krispies are not gluten-free but will absolutely work in this recipe. If you’re wanting to make these bars gluten-free be sure to choose a crisp rice cereal that is certified gluten-free.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 70 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 7 g