- 1 cup organic peanut butter* (may sub any nut or seed butter of choice)
- 2 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup (may sub honey)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2¼ cups old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal (may sub almond flour, oat flour or flour of choice)
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup dairy-free, mini chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life! brand)
- 1½ Tbsp. chia seeds, divided
- Optional: 1/4 cup protein powder or collagen (may need to add 1-2 Tbsp. water)
- Mix 1 Tbsp. of chia seeds with 3 Tbsp. of water and set aside to form a gel.
- In a small saucepan over low heat combine coconut oil, peanut butter, honey, vanilla and salt. Stir until just melted then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Optional step: Add oats to a food processor and pulse 5-10 times to break down the oats. Some oats will remain whole.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flaxseed meal (or flour), coconut flakes, and remaining 1/2 Tbsp. chia seeds.
- Add cooled peanut butter mixture and chia gel to oat mixture and stir with wooden spoon, in a mixer or with hands (hands work best). Note: the dough needs to be mixed very well before to come together. If dough doesn’t come together add 1 tbsp. of water at a time until it starts sticking together. You shouldn’t need more than 1-2 Tbsp. of water.
- Mix in chocolate chips. Make sure dough is not warm otherwise chocolate chips will melt.
- Oil hands with oil and roll dough firmly into small round bites.
- Store in covered container in the refrigerator or freezer.
*use sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option
*store in fridge for up to 1 week or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 Bite (without protein)
- Calories: 125
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 55mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g