- 1¼ cups finely ground almond flour (we recommend King Arthur Flour finely-ground almond flour)
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax meal
- 6 Tbsp. warm water
- 5 Tbsp. ghee or butter*, chilled
- 1 Tbsp. cold water
- 12 oz. cooked turkey, cubed (may substitute cooked chicken)
- 1 Tbsp. ghee or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small red potatoes, cubed small (about 1 cup)
- 3 cups chicken broth (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup frozen peas & carrots
- 3 Tbsp. tapioca flour
- ¾ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried sage
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
For the Crust
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax meal and warm water then set aside to thicken.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add almond flour, tapioca flour, salt, and garlic powder. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add ghee or butter and flax/water mixture to the dry ingredients. Pulse until resembles coarse sand.
- Add a few drops of water and pulse again. Repeat until dough comes together in a ball. This may or may not take the entire 1 Tbsp. water.
- Turn dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Dust with tapioca flour, then form dough into a ball with your hands.
- Place another piece of wrap or parchment paper over the ball and flatten into a disk about 6 inches in diameter. Chill 20 minutes.
For the Filling (make while crust chills)
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet (or other oven-proof skillet) over medium heat. Add ghee (or olive oil) and sauté onions 4-5 minutes or until they start to soften. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook until they’ve lost most of their water. Add potatoes, broth, thyme, and sage. Bring just to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Add frozen peas and carrots, increase the heat and return mixture to a boil
- Mix tapioca flour in a small bowl with a bit of the hot broth to create a slurry. Slowly add to bubbling filling mixture and stir gently until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cooked turkey. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove crust from the fridge and roll out into a 10-inch circle on the parchment or wrap. Carefully slide one hand under the crust and use the other to stabilize the crust as you flip it over onto the filling. Gently crimp crust edges if they hang over the edge. If not, that’s fine, the crust doesn’t have to cover every bit of the filling. Cut 4 slits in the center of the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place skillet on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and crisp.
*Dairy-Free Option: Substitute an equal amount of coconut oil or sustainably-sourced non-hydrogenated palm shortening for the butter or ghee.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 485mg
- Fat: 27g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 26g