- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened (may substitute unsalted butter)
- 2/3 cup maple sugar (may sub coconut sugar or organic cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (canned or carton)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract (such as Simply Organic)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 1/3 cup cassava flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds (such as Simply Organic)
- Optional sliced almonds for topping (omit for nut-free)
Optional Lemon Glaze:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, begin whipping together the coconut oil with the sugar and milk. Gradually increase speed to high and whip for about 2 minutes. Once the mixture is well combined (it will be a little chunky), turn mixer to lowest setting and add in the egg, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix the batter together. Turn up the speed a bit and continue to mix until combined.
- With the mixer off, add the dry ingredients including cassava flour, baking soda, sea salt and poppy seeds to the bowl and begin mixing the wet and dry ingredients together on low.
- Using a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, scoop each cookie onto a parchment-lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart (they will not spread much). Gently press the top of each cookie to flatten.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until edges of cookies are slightly golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool completely. They will be delicate when hot.
- To make the optional glaze: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and coconut milk (start with 2 tsp.) and stir well. Then add in the lemon juice, zest and vanilla and continue to stir until nice and smooth. Add additional powdered sugar if too runny (1 Tbsp. at a time) or additional coconut milk if it’s too thick (1 tsp. at a time).
- Once cookies are completely cooled, drizzle with optional glaze and top with lemon zest and sliced almonds.
These cookies are best stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 cooking with glaze
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 125 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 0 g