For the Chicken:
- 1¼ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 4 pieces and pounded to about 1-inch thick
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp. cassava flour (or other gluten-free flour of choice)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1 (28-oz.) can organic crushed tomatoes (may substitute organic tomato sauce)
- 1½ tsp. dried basil*
- ½ tsp. dried thyme*
- 1 tsp. dried oregano*
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Organic Valley Italian Blend cheese
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced
*May substitute 1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning for basil, thyme, and oregano
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Combine cassava flour (or other gluten-free flour), salt, garlic powder and pepper in a small bowl. Roll chicken in flour.
- Place a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add oil.
- When oil just starts to shimmer add chicken, cooking 4-5 minutes on each side until surface is golden brown and chicken is almost cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate.
- To the pan, add crushed tomatoes, basil, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder. Return skillet to medium heat and allow the sauce to simmer 8-10 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place chicken on top of sauce and spoon a little sauce over each piece of chicken before sprinkling with shredded cheese.
- Place pan in the oven and bake 15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil, if using, just before serving. Serve over your favorite pasta, spaghetti squash or spiralized vegetables.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/4th recipe (chicken + sauce)
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 601mg
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 35