For the protein bars:
- 2 cups gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats (~190 g)
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal* (20 g)
- ½ cup vanilla protein powder (70 g)
- 1/3 cup flax meal (25 g)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (drizzly consistency) (240 g)
- 1/3 cup honey (105 g)
- 2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate drizzle:
- Place the oats in a food processor or blender and pulse 10-15 times or until oats are broken down a little. Some of the oats may remain partially whole.
- In a medium bowl combine the oats, cereal, protein powder, flax, salt, peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla. Stir to combine well or mix with hands. The dough should stick together easily. If not, add 1-2 teaspoons of water at a time until dough sticks together.
- Line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper so that paper overlaps edges. Transfer the dough to the pan. Spread the dough out evenly and with your hands press dough very firmly into the pan.
- Place the pan in the freezer for at least 30 minutes (this can be done the day before or even a few days before).
- For the chocolate drizzle: combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir continuously until smooth and drizzly. You may also use a microwave at 50% power for 30-second increments stirring between each increment until smooth and drizzly.
- After bars have been in the freezer, remove the bars from the pan by grabbing onto the parchment paper flaps, lift out, and place on a cutting board.
- Drizzle the chocolate evenly over the bars. The chocolate should harden quickly since the bars are cold.
- With a sharp knife, cut the bars into 24 small bars (6 rows x 4 rows). Serve and enjoy!
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
* Not all crisp rice cereals are gluten-free so if you are gluten-sensitive or have an allergy to gluten you’ll want to be sure you choose a crisp rice cereal that is gluten-free – like this one.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 40 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7 g