- 1 large bunch curly green or red kale, washed and patted dry, tough stems removed (about 5 cups)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned or cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup shredded Brussels sprouts (may substitute with an additional 2 cups kale)
- ¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 3 Tbsp. roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp. roasted sunflower seeds
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional – 1/3 cup feta, goat or parmesan cheese (omit for vegan, dairy-free & Whole30)
- Get out a big bowl. Tear the washed kale into bite-sized pieces and toss into the bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Massage the kale. Really get into it. Continue to massage the leaves with the salt until they start to soften and wilt a bit.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, and black pepper and set aside. Do not add extra salt, there’s plenty on the kale already. Toss remaining ingredients (apple through sunflower seeds) into kale.
- Drizzle with oil and vinegar dressing, toss to combine and serve.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 235mg
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 7g