- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into small florets (about 7 cups)
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. Organic Valley Ghee
- 3 cups chicken broth (or homemade bone broth)
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary, lightly crushed between your fingers
- 1 cup Organic Valley Grassmilk Whole Milk
- 1 cup Organic Valley Grassmilk Raw Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 cups kale, torn into small pieces
- 3 slices crisp cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chives (optional; may use 1 tsp. dried chives and add with other dried herbs
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley (optional; may use 1 tsp. dried parsley and add with other dried herbs)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Place a large pot with lid (a 5-quart Dutch oven works well) over medium-high heat. Add ghee to the hot pan. When ghee is melted, add onions. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until onions start to soften. Add garlic and cook, stirring, an additional 30-60 seconds until garlic is fragrant.
- Add cauliflower florets, broth, thyme, and rosemary. Stir and increase heat slightly to bring the liquid to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover pot with lid.
- Allow cauliflower to cook 20-25 minutes or until very tender (but not mushy).
- Remove lid from pot and reduce heat to low. Carefully remove ½ of the cauliflower and broth to a blender pitcher or food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender right in the pot and blend until some chunks remain.
- Transfer blended soup back to pot, stir in milk, cheese, and kale. Heat over low heat 3-5 minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Remove soup from heat, stir in bacon, fresh chives, and parsley. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed before serving.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1¼ cups
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 389mg
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 17g