For the Salsa Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14-16 ounce) jar of your favorite salsa (mild or medium)
- 1 (15 ounces) can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounces) can no salt added sweet corn, drained
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning (or taco seasoning of choice)
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Cilantro-Lime Crema
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2–3 tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime) + ½ teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon fine salt
Optional for serving: serve chicken salsa over cooked rice or cauliflower rice, top with sliced avocado, cilantro-lime crema, thinly sliced jalapeno, lime wedges, fresh chopped cilantro, pickled red onion, and side of blue corn tortilla chips
- Select the ‘saute’ function on the Instant Pot. Once hot, add the oil and diced onion. Stir occasionally cooking for 3-4 minutes or until onions start to become tender. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally to prevent garlic from burning.
- Next, place the remaining salsa chicken ingredients in the Instant Pot. Put the lid on and make sure the vent is sealed.
- Set Instant Pot to ‘High Pressure’ setting then set the cooking time for 10 minutes.
- Once cooking is completed, allow natural releasing of pressure for 3-4 minutes then switch the valve to ‘vent’.
- When all of the pressure releases and the lid unlocks, remove the chicken and shred the chicken with two forks. Toss chicken back into the pot to coat with sauce.
- To make the cilantro-lime crema: Add the ingredients to a small blender cup or small food processor and blend until smooth.
- Assemble the bowls with suggested serving options.
Slow Cooker Directions: To make this recipe in a slow cooker instead of an Instant Pot, saute the garlic and onion in oil on the stove top before adding to the slow cooker. Then place all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.
- Serving Size: 1 cup chicken + 2 tablespoons crema
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 730 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 30 g