For the Instant Pot Chicken:
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast and/or thighs
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup broth or water (such as homemade bone broth)
- 1 cup Tessemae’s BBQ sauce, divided
For the Slaw:
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup seeds, toasted (sunflower or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup Tessemae’s Ranch or Caesar Dressing (add more to your liking)
- 4 green onions, ends trimmed & sliced (white part and midway up the green part)
- Optional: 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins (for Whole30-compliant we recommend Made In Nature)
For serving (optional):
- 4-8 small to medium sweet potatoes, baked (see recipe here)
- Additional BBQ sauce and dressing
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- If serving with sweet potatoes, prep them and get them in the oven as they will take the longest. Recipe here.
- Next place the chicken, yellow onion, broth and 1/2 of the BBQ sauce in the Instant Pot.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot, lock it in place and seal it.
- Set the Instant Pot on the poultry setting for 13 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the Instant Pot, make the slaw by combining all of the slaw ingredients in a medium bowl and tossing until well combined. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Once the 13 minutes is up on the Instant Pot, press cancel and let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes. Then switch to venting to finish releasing the pressure. Remove the lid. Transfer the chicken to a platter and with two forks or a tong, pull the chicken breast/thighs apart.
- Transfer the chicken back to the Instant Pot. If there is a lot of liquid, remove about half of it.
- Add the remaining BBQ to the Instant Pot and toss until chicken is well coated. Add as much BBQ sauce as you’d like.
- To serve: Slice a baked sweet potato in half, stuff it with chicken and top it with the simple slaw. Drizzle with additional BBQ sauce or dressing and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley if you wish.
Additional serving suggestions: Serve the BBQ Pulled Chicken tucked into a baked potato, lettuce leaf, over cauli-rice or over sautéed greens. If not on a Whole30, a bun or wrap is also an option!
Slow cooker instructions: Follow instructions as is and place chicken in a slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of chicken and slaw (not including sweet potato)
- Calories: 315
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 460 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 29 g