- 4 – 6 fresh artichokes (4 large or 6 small will fit in a 6-quart Instant Pot)
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 – 6 slices
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
- 1 cup water
- Remove the small outer leaves near the stem. Using a knife, slice the stem off so that about ¼-inch of it remains.
- Lay the artichoke on the cutting board and using a sharp knife, cut the top 1-1 ½ inches of the artichoke off to expose the inside. Repeat for the remaining artichokes.
- Use a pair of kitchen shears or clean scissors to snip the pointy ends off of the remaining leaves.
- Rinse the cut artichokes under cool running water then pat dry with a clean towel.
- Cut the lemon into wedges and rub the cut surface and sides of the artichoke with a lemon wedge to reduce bitterness and browning of the cut surfaces and give it extra flavor. Then, toss the lemon wedges into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- To the bottom of the Instant Pot, add 1 cup water and 2 peeled cloves of garlic. Then place the metal rack inside the pot.
- Arrange the artichokes, cut side up, on the rack in a single layer. Depending on the size of your artichokes, you should be able to fit between 4-6 in there without overcrowding them.
- Lock the lid into place, flip the valve to the ‘sealing’ position, then cook at high pressure for 10 minutes (larger and/or denser artichokes will need more time). Once the cooking time is up, quick release the pressure and remove the lid when it is safe to do so.
- To test for doneness, carefully remove an artichoke and turn it over to expose the stem. Insert a paring knife into the stem. If it goes in easily, it’s done. If not, add an additional ½ cup of water then replace the lid and add a few more minutes of cooking time.
The artichokes can be made in a 3-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot using the same method and cooking time. However, the number of artichokes that will fit in the pot will vary depending on the size of the Instant Pot.
- Serving Size: 1 medium artichoke, plain
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 75 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 2 g