For the Sweet Potato filling:
- 2½–2¾ lbs. sweet potatoes (about 4 garnet or jewel medium sweet potatoes)*
- 3 dates, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes to soften (optional – feel free to omit)
- ⅓ cup milk of choice (unsweetened almond milk for Whole30)
- 1½ Tbsp. Organic Valley Ghee
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- 2 Organic Valley Whole Eggs
For the Topping:
- 1 cup pecans (½ cup chopped + ½ cup whole)
- 3 strips no-sugar bacon, cooked and chopped (turkey bacon works, too)
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Valley Ghee, melted
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9-10 inch (square, round or oval) or 1.5 quart baking dish and set aside.
- Bake sweet potatoes in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until soft and cooked through. Baking time will depend on the size of sweet potatoes. *Note: feel free to bake/cook the sweet potatoes however you wish. This can be done a day or two ahead of time.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, in a small bowl add the topping ingredients and mix to combine. Set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are done, remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes.
- After the 5 minutes, remove the peels of the sweet potatoes and add the peeled sweet potatoes to a food processor (one that holds at least 8 cups). You may also use a hand mixer or stand up mixer for this step.
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients, except for the eggs, and process until smooth. May need to scrape sides once or twice. Next, add the eggs and process again just until smooth.
- Transfer the sweet potato filling to the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Top with the pecan and bacon mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. If pecans begin to get too brown, cover again with foil.
- Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1/9 of recipe (without dates)
- Calories: 245 calories
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 285 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 6 g