Sometimes simple is the best way to go! Take these Grilled Steak Kebabs as an example; just steak, onions, peppers, and a 5-ingredient marinade (6 if you count black pepper!) is all you need. They can be prepped ahead to be grilled when you’re ready or made for an easy reheat and meat later in the week.
Weeknight dinner simplicity – now on a stick!
Who else is less than excited about heating up the kitchen right now? With summer in full swing, the last thing we want to do is turn on the oven—which is why we love these Grilled Steak Kebabs. They’re so simple to make and pair perfectly with big green salad, this 5-Ingredient Creamy Ranch Broccoli Slaw, or potato salad (like this Low-Carb Mock Potato Salad or our Blue Cheese Potato Salad with Chives for those looking for an egg-free option).
Of course, there’s no reason why you can’t make these all year round! They’re great for a quick weeknight meal because it’s just 30 minutes in the marinade (gives them plenty of flavor) and they can even be prepped ahead for a super quick reheat and eat meal (or just add the steak and peppers onto a salad for a super quick yet satisfying no-cook meal).
Grilled Steak Kebabs Ingredients
- Steak – Any cut will do, but we use sirloin steak for these because it’s lean and budget-friendly (and the marinade helps tenderize the meat).
- Onions – Red, yellow, or white will work.
- Bell Pepper – Choose the color(s) you like best or use what you have on hand.
- Tamari or Coconut aminos – Tamari is gluten-free soy sauce. Opt for coconut aminos instead of tamari to make these Whole30-friendly.
- Worchestershire sauce – The ultimate ‘umami booster’. If you don’t have any on hand or want a Whole30-friendly option, replace with extra tamari or coconut aminos.
- Red wine vinegar – White or apple cider vinegar will also work—we’re just looking for some acidity here to help tenderize the meat.
- Dried Italian seasoning – You can definitely use fresh herbs if you have them, but for a simple marinade dried seasonings get the job done.
- Garlic Powder & Black pepper – No need to add salt, the tamari (or coconut aminos) and Worchestershire sauce offer plenty of saltiness.
How to Make Grilled Steak Kebabs
These Grilled Steak Kebabs are so simple to make. Just toss the cubes of steak into the marinade and then, while they marinate, preheat the grill, cut the peppers and onions, and soak the skewers in a little water if you’re using wooden ones.
After a quick 30 minutes in the marinade (or up to 8 hours if you want to prep these ahead) you’ll thread the steak, peppers, and onions onto the skewers and toss them onto the hot grill for 10-12 minutes or until done to your liking.
How to Prep Ahead
- Prepare marinade in a container with lid (making sure it’s large enough to hold all of the meat in a relatively single layer so that each piece has maximum exposure to the marinade).
- Add steak cubes and toss to coat. Cover with the lid and transfer the container to the fridge to marinate for up to 8 hours. If you think about it, give the container a shake after a few hours to redistribute the steak in the marinade.
- Cut onions and peppers into 1-inch pieces and store in a container or zip-top bag in the fridge until ready to use.
More Recipes You’ll Like
- Chicken Tikka Masala Skewers
- Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple Kebabs
- Grilled Pork Kebabs with Peanut Sauce
For the Kebabs:
- 1 ¼ lbs. Sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1 ¼-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium bell peppers, any color, cut into 1-inch pieces
For the Marinade:
- 2 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce (substitute coconut aminos for Whole30)
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (replace with coconut aminos for Whole30)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Cut steak into 1-inch cubes. Add to a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the marinade by whisking marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over the steak and allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes (and up to 8 hours) in the fridge.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (400-450℉).
- Assemble kebabs by threading the steak, onions, and bell peppers onto skewers* alternating as you go.
- Place kebabs directly on the grate of the preheated grill and cook 4-5 minutes per side until the desired degree of doneness.
*If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 525mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 25g
Pin it now & Make it later!
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!