- 1 lb. ground grass-fed beef or bison
- 4 slices Whole30-compliant uncured bacon (such as Pederson’s Natural Farms)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil (such as Primal Kitchen)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat grill to high heat. While grill is heating, finely mince uncooked bacon using a large knife.
- Place ground bison in medium bowl. Add minced bacon, garlic powder and black pepper. Mix well to distribute the bacon and spices throughout the ground meat.
- Divide meat mixture into 4 balls and flatten into patties ½ – ¾ -inch thick patties. Place patties on a plate in the fridge until ready to cook.
- Place sliced onions and mushrooms onto a perforated grill pan or into a large cast-iron skillet. Toss with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- When grill is hot, place grill pan on over direct heat and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and slightly charred on the edges. Remove grill pan from grill and scrape grill grate if necessary.
- To cook burgers, place patties on grill grate and cook 5-6 minutes on each side or until desired degree on doneness. Remove patties to a clean plate and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve burgers with grilled mushrooms and onions, green leaf lettuce, sliced tomatoes and other desired toppings.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!