- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese* (omit for dairy-free, vegan, and Whole30)
- Salt and black pepper
- Lemon wedges for serving, optional
- Preheat the grill to medium heat (350-375℉) if using a gas or charcoal grill. If using a Traeger grill or other wood-fired grill that uses indirect heat for cooking, preheat the grill to 450-500℉.
- While the grill heats up, rinse the asparagus spears under cool, running water to remove any dirt or debris. Pat dry with a clean kitchen towel. Using a sharp knife, cut the bottom 1-2 inches from each spear.
- Arrange the spears on a grill pan (if using) or a rimmed baking sheet (if not using a grill pan and plan to place the spears directly on the grill grate). Drizzle with oil and gently rub the oil onto the asparagus with your hands. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the grill pan on the grill (or place each spear perpendicular to the grate to prevent them from falling through). Close the lid and cook for 6 minutes (over direct heat) or 8 minutes (over indirect) heat or until the spears are lightly grill-marked, bright green, and tender to your liking, using tongs to turn the asparagus spears halfway through.
- Remove the asparagus from the grill and transfer to a plate or serving platter. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if using and serve with lemon wedges.
- Leftovers may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
* For dairy-free or vegan, may substitute non-dairy cheese of choice
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 40
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 39
- Fat: 2
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 3
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 3