For the marinade:
- 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
For the skewers:
- 1 ½ lbs. chicken breasts (~3-4 breast), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced ½ inch thick rounds (half moons if large)
- 1 large sweet bell pepper, cut into 1 to 1 ½ inch squares
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1 to 1 ½ inch squares
- 6–8 skewers (for wooden skewers soak in water for 30-minutes before assembling kebabs)
For the tzatziki sauce:
- ½ cup grated English cucumber, squeezed to remove water*
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Prepare the veggies, cube the chicken and make the marinade. Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a mason jar or small bowl. Secure lid and shake mason jar to mix well or if in a bowl, whisk with a fork. Transfer about ¾ of the marinade to a glass container or zip-top bag (keeping the remaining 1/4 of the marinade for step 6).
- Add the chicken to the container or bag turning to coat. Marinate for 4-24 hours. Toss chicken a few times during the marinating time. Place veggies in an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to assemble the kebabs.
- To make the tzatziki sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill to 400ºF.
- Assemble the kebabs by threading the chicken and veggies onto the skewers alternating between the veggies and chicken as you wish. Discard the marinade used for the chicken.
- Brush the chicken and veggies with the ¼ remaining marinade from step 1.
- Grill until the chicken is cooked through, about 5-7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear or the internal temperature of chicken reaches 165ºF.
- Serve chicken kebabs with Tzatziki.
*place grated cucumber on a double layer of paper towel. Place a double layer of paper towel on top of the cucumber. Press to absorb liquid. Doesn’t need to be completely absorbed just enough so that it’s not extremely watery.
Steps 1-3 can be completed the day before.
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe (Kebabs + Tzatziki)
- Calories: 320
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 430 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 35 g