- 1 ¼ cups finely ground almond flour (such as Honeyville)
- ¾ cup tapioca flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax meal (such as Bob’s Red Mill golden flax meal)
- 6 Tbsp. warm water
- 5 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated palm shortening (such as Spectrum Organic)
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 12 oz. cooked turkey, cubed
- 1 Tbsp. ghee or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz. cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 small red potatoes or 1 small sweet potato, cubed small
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ Tbsp. tapioca flour
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. dried sage
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
For the Crust
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax meal and warm water then set aside to thicken.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add almond flour, tapioca flour, sea salt and garlic powder. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add shortening and flax/water mixture to the dry ingredients. Pulse until resembles coarse sand.
- Add a few drops of water and pulse again. Repeat until dough comes together in a ball. This may or may not take the entire 2 Tbsp. water.
- Turn dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Dust with tapioca flour then form dough into a ball with your hands.
- Place another piece of wrap or parchment paper over the ball and flatten into a disk about 6 inches in diameter. Chill 20 minutes.
For the Filling (make while crust chills)
- Preheat oven to 375?.
- Place a 9-inch cast iron (or other oven-proof skillet) over medium. Add ghee (or olive oil) and saute onions 4-5 minutes or until they start to soften. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook until they’ve lost most of their water. Add potatoes and carrots, broth, thyme and sage. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are almost tender. Return to a boil
- Mix tapioca flour in a small bowl with a bit of the hot broth to create a slurry. Slowly add to bubbling filling mixture and stir gently until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add turkey and broccoli. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove crust from fridge and roll out into a 10 inch circle on the parchment or wrap. Carefully slide one hand under the crust and use the other to stabilize the crust as you flip it over onto the filling. Gently crimp edges and cut 4 slits in the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place skillet on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and crisp.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe on your own website or social media page, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on Simply Nourished Recipes to give credit where credit is due. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 483mg
- Fat: 27g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 26g