- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2½–3 lbs.)
- 1 lb. grass-fed ground beef (or ½ lb. ground beef + ½ lb. ground Italian sausage)
- 1 medium green pepper, diced (~1 cup)
- 1 small onion, diced (~1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups spinach (about 3 large handfuls)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (omit if you don’t like spice)
- 1–24 oz. jar Primal Kitchen Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- Salt & pepper
For the Squash:
- Pre-heat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half length-wise, scoop out seeds and place face down on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until squash is slightly soft to touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once you can handle the squash, scrape squash with a fork to remove the spaghetti squash strands. (click here for photo tutorial). Place strands on a baking sheet that’s double layered with paper towels. Let set for 5-10 minutes to allow liquid from the spaghetti squash to be absorbed.
While squash is baking:
- Place a 12-inch oven-safe skillet (round casserole dish) or cast-iron skillet over medium high-heat, add the beef, peppers, onions and garlic. Season with sea salt and pepper. Brown beef and sauté until peppers and onions are cooked through. **If you don’t have a 12-inch oven-safe skillet or cast-iron, see instructions below.
- Next add basil and spinach. Sauté until spinach is wilted.
- Turn off heat and stir in marinara sauce and whisked eggs.
- Lastly, carefully stir-in spaghetti squash strands. Cover with foil.
- Place spaghetti pie in the oven and bake for 35 minutes on the lower shelf. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes for a total of 45 minutes.
- Once baking time is complete, remove from oven and let set for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- To serve, garnish with fresh basil, crushed red pepper if you like a little heat and parmesan or mozzarella cheese (note: cheese is not Whole30 or dairy-free).
**If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet or appropriate casserole dish, you can simply transfer the ingredients to a 9×13 casserole dish to bake.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 350 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 15 g