- 1 ¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1) (~260 g)
- 3 Tbsp. coconut sugar (or sugar of choice)
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter (or nut butter of choice) (~190 g)
- ¼ cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 ripe banana, mashed (~⅔ heaping cup or 230 g)
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup Kalona Supernatural Organic Plain Kefir (420 ml)*
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, oil, mashed banana, eggs, vanilla. Whisk together to combine well.
- Add the wet ingredients, including the kefir, to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Preheat waffle iron to medium-low heat. Grease with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop batter on to the waffle iron and spread out evenly. The amount of batter will depend on the size of iron. Cook waffles according to the instructions of the specific waffle iron used. Repeat until all batter is gone.
- Waffles taste best when you let them sit for 5 minutes before serving on a wire rack. Serve warm with sliced bananas. If desired, top with butter, peanut butter and/or maple syrup.
* May substitute plain yogurt mixed with enough milk to create a ‘drinkable’ yogurt texture for the kefir
- Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 359mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 11g