- 1½ cups gluten-free flour such as Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour (may sub all-purpose flour of choice)
- ½ cup organic brown sugar (may sub coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas (bananas with speckled black spots work best), about 1 heaping cup
- 2 large eggs** (see egg-free sub below)
- ¼ cup oil (avocado oil or olive)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips plus extra for sprinkling on topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a second bowl, mash the bananas. Add the eggs, oil and vanilla; mix well.
- Stir banana egg mixture into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin wells half full. A silicone muffin pan also works great.
- Top each muffin with a few extra chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Time will vary depending on kind of pan used.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then remove muffins from pan to a wire rack to cool for an additional 30 or so minutes before enjoying or storing .
**For vegan -friendly or egg-free: Sub flax eggs (2 Tbsp. flax meal + 6 Tbsp. water) + add 1/4 cup almond milk to the mix.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 200 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g