- 2 medium yellow plantains, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 1/2 – 2 Tbsp. ghee (we recommend Pure Indian Foods 100% grass-fed ghee) (sub coconut oil for vegan friendly)
- Coarse sea salt
- Fresh lime wedges, optional
To peel plantain
- Using a pairing knife, cut both ends from the plantain.
- Holding the plantain in the palm of your hand, carefully pierce the skin at the top of the plantain where you cut the end off. Now draw the knife down the length of the plantain through the skin , being careful not to cut yourself.
- Use two hands to peel the skin off. It should come off in one piece, kind of like a wrapper.
- Preheat a skillet (we love a good cast iron skillet for this) over medium-high heat.
- Place the plantain(s) on a cutting board and slice into 1/4-inch thick rounds.
- When pan is hot, add half of the ghee to the pan, swirling to coat once the fat melts.
- Carefully place the plantain rounds into the skillet being careful not to crowd them. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat as necessary until all of the plantains rounds have been fried.
- Remove to a plate and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/2 medium plantain
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 55mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g