4-Ingredient snacking bliss is just 15 minutes away with these Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites
Lately, I’ve had this little obsession…
An obsession with combining cherries with rich, dark chocolate or crunchy, salted almonds. And an obsession with recipes that offer near-instant gratification (in a real food kind of way – which, admittedly, is a bit slower than just tossing something into the microwave for a few minutes but it’s still easy). Because I’m busy, folks! I’m up to my eyeballs daily being a full-time mama to kids on summer break, the “master gardener” here at ‘Camp Violet’ (our affectionate term for our little multi-generational urban homestead), head chef and laundress and newly obsessed CrossFit fanatic. Oh, and my real job here at The Real Food Dietitians. That too.
So as you can imagine I’m all about healthy and fast these days and that’s why I’ve been whipping up batches of these Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites each week. I need to have something to hand to the hungry, mud-covered, sprinkler-soaked kids and their friends when I need to buy myself a little more time to finish a blog post, tinker with the garden irrigation, freshen up the waterers in the chicken coop or take those final shots of the recipe I just made. And these 4-ingredient energy bites are perfect for that.
These Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites are my DIY version of a popular snack bar
4 ingredients + a food processor or blender and you’re on your way to easy DIY snack bar city with the added benefit of teeny, tiny chocolate chips and just enough sea salt to give it that sweet and salty thang we all love. Of course, you can leave the chocolate chips out if you want a Whole30-friendly version. Or add a scoop of two of our favorite collagen peptides to support healthy skin, joints, nails and hair and staying power.
Got kids? Awesome. Get them in the kitchen to help you roll these bad boys into little balls.
Or press them into a pan if you prefer bars. Kids love getting their hands all sweet and sticky and studding the bites with the little chocolate chips that don’t quite get mixed all the way in. Or, eating them.
What’s your go-to, simple snack recipe for summer? Leave a comment below and share your favorite snack ideas for busy families.
- 10 pitted medjool dates (or 20 deglet dates)
- 1 cup dried cherries, preferably organic
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 2–3 tsp. water
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Put the dates, almonds, cherries and sea salt in a food processor. Process until the mixture is coarse-fine and somewhat crumbly. This will take about 5 minutes and you may need to stop and scrape the bowl down.
- With the food processor still running, slowly add some of the water and continue to process (adding more water as needed) until the fruit and nuts form a ball.
- Turn off processor, stir chocolate chips into fruit and nut mixture using a spoon.
- Using your hands, roll mixture into balls or press into an 8×8-inch pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1 Bite
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 48mg
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
Pin it now and make it later!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.