A childhood favorite gets a healthy remake in this honey-sweetened Dairy-free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!
Ice cream is life
I think we can probably all agree that ice cream is pretty amazing. Especially when it’s made without refined sugars, dyes or artificial anything. And you don’t need an ice cream maker to make it.
What we might not agree on is which flavor is best. And that’s okay. Variety is the spice of life and this recipe could be easily adapted to make just about any flavor you choose by substituting the mint and chocolate for fresh berries or maybe just some vanilla. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves…let’s talk about this Dairy-free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.No-Churn Dairy-free Mint Chip Ice Cream + FREE Cool Summer Treats & Sweets eBook #realfood @vitalproteins Click To Tweet
Growing up, my dad affectionately referred to Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream as ‘green death’ . It was his least favorite flavor and one I got only when we went out for ice cream on special occasions – which is probably why I still have a thing for it.
No-dyes and no refined sweeteners necessary
This ice cream though is a far cry from the super sugary, artificially dyed Mint Chocolate Chip of my childhood. It’s dairy-free, sweetened with honey and uses spinach to give it that characteristic ‘green death’ color.
It’s also egg-free thanks to Vital Proteins Gelatin. The gelatin is the perfect binder and keeps it scoop-able when you use the no-churn method. Of course, if you have an ice cream maker you can use that instead (this is the one I have!)
Want even more healthy sweet treat recipes?
We’ve teamed up with our friends at Vital Proteins to bring you 12 Cool Summer Sweets & Treats recipes that we know you’re going to love. Hint: There’s everything from smoothies to infused fruit coolers to 3-ingredient n’ice cream PLUS a guide to help you build your own amazing smoothies.
Get your FREE Summer Sweets & Treats eBook when you join our email list HERE
Cheers to summer and all the healthy sweet treats to come!
P.S. Already a newsletter subscriber? Watch your email inbox for your FREE eBook
- Place ½ can of coconut milk, spinach and the mint leaves in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining coconut milk, honey and vanilla and blend again.
- Pour hot water into a small bowl or measuring cup. Sprinkle with gelatin and allow to stand for 5 minutes to allow the gelatin to bloom (aka swell). With the blender running on low speed, add bloomed gelatin to coconut milk mixture. Secure blender lid and process on high until well blended. If coconut mixture starts to separate, don’t panic, just keep blending - it will get smooth.
- Pour mixture into a shallow freezer safe container or loaf pan. Add chocolate chips. Place in freezer. Stir mixture every 30 minutes for the first 3 hours or so to incorporate air into the mixture as it freezes.
- Serve after 4 hours (soft serve consistency) or freeze longer for a harder consistency.
- If frozen solid, allow ice cream to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
Pin now, make later!
This post was made possible by our friends at Vital Proteins. Though we received compensation for this post, the opinions expressed here are – as always -100% our own. Thank you for supporting the great companies we work with thereby allowing us to continue creating great recipes and content for you.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.