- 2 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. ghee (we recommend Pure Indian Foods)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 jalapenos, minced (optional; seeds and membranes removed for less heat)
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. taco seasoning (such as our Whole30 Taco Seasoning recipe)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3–4 cupsWhole30-compliant chicken broth (or homemade broth)
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes (may substitute diced tomatoes)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Diced avocado and lime wedges for serving
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ghee.
- When ghee is melted, nestle chicken breasts into the bottom of the Dutch oven in a single layer. Cook 5-7 minutes then flip and cook an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Push chicken breasts to the side (stacking them is okay), add onions, red peppers, jalapenos, taco seasoning, cumin and sea salt. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes or until onion and peppers start to soften. Add garlic and cook an additional 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add 3 cups broth and crushed tomatoes. Bring soup just to a boil then cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook 20 minutes until vegetables are tender and chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and allow to cool before shredding with two forks. Add additional broth, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
- Return shredded chicken to pot and stir. Add cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with diced avocado and lime wedges.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 582mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 31g