- 2 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1–2 jalapenos, minced (optional; seeds and membranes removed for less heat)
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. taco seasoning (such as our Whole30 Taco Seasoning recipe)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups chicken broth (or homemade broth)
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (may substitute diced tomatoes)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Diced avocado and lime wedges for serving
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ghee.
- When ghee is melted, nestle chicken breasts into the bottom of the Dutch oven in a single layer. Cook 5-7 minutes then flip and cook an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Push chicken breasts to the side (stacking them is okay), add onions, red peppers, jalapenos, taco seasoning, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes or until onion and peppers start to soften. Add garlic and diced green chiles and cook an additional 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add 3 cups broth and crushed tomatoes. Bring soup just to a boil then cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook 20 minutes until vegetables are tender and chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and allow it to cool before shredding with two forks. Add additional broth, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
- Return shredded chicken to pot and stir. Add cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with diced avocado and lime wedges.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Select ‘Saute’ on Instant Pot. When the pot is hot, add ghee. Saute the onions and bell pepper 3-4 minutes or until they start to soften. Press ‘Cancel’ and stir in garlic, green chiles, and jalapeno (if using).
- Add chicken, taco seasoning, cumin, salt, broth, and diced tomatoes. Set cook time for 15 minutes (high pressure) and flip vent valve to the ‘Sealing’ position.
- After cooking time is up, allow for 5 minutes of natural pressure release before manually releasing any remaining pressure then remove lid when safe to do so. Stir in lime juice.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 582mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 31g