This post is sponsored by our friends at Pederson’s Natural Farms.
We’re about to steal your comfort food-loving heart with these one-dish Butternut Squash Noodles with Sausage and Kale
And did we mention they’re also Whole30-friendly?
If you leave the cheese off, of course. And best of all, it’s a complete meal with just one skillet. Slicing the butternut squash really thin with either a spiral vegetable cutter or a handheld vegetable peeler cuts down on the cooking time – so does using precooked kielbasa sausage.
For this recipe we’ve partnered with our friends at The Simple Grocer and Pederson’s Natural Farms- maker of high-quality, humanely-raised, responsibly-processed and Paleo and Whole3-friendly meats like the kielbasa used in this recipe. Learn more about how The Simple Grocer can you save you time and money here and learn more about Pederson’s Natural Farms here.
Easy, hearty and satisfying – the perfect mid-week meal is just 30 minutes away
Prepping all of the ingredients before starting to cook is the key to an easy and successful one-skillet dinner. You can even prep all of the ingredients up to 3 days in advance if you want to make things really easy.
It’s all in there – no side dish required
Of course, we’d never begrudge you for adding a salad or side of steamed vegetables to this dish but really, you don’t have to. It’s all in there – carbs from the butternut squash noodles, protein from the kielbasa and plenty of fiber from the kale, squash and mushrooms. The only thing we’d add is a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little more heat (though the kielbasa does pack a little heat already) and maybe a sprinkle of parmesan cheese when we’re not Whole30-ing.
P.S. You can even top the leftovers with a fried egg for an insanely easy and satisfying breakfast. How’s that for awesome?
- 1 medium butternut squash, spiralized or thinly sliced (or cut into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler)
- 2-4 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil, divided (such as Primal Kitchen)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz. Pederson’s Natural Farms Kielbasa, cut into slices ¼ -inch thick
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped (about 4 cups)
- Sea salt to taste
- Crushed red pepper, optional
- Shredded parmesan cheese, optional - omit for Whole30
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp. avocado oil. Once oil is hot add butternut squash noodles and saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add 2 Tbsp. water and cover for 10 minutes or until squash noodles are tender (not overly soft/mushy). Add additional water as needed to prevent noodles from burning. Remove squash noodles from heat and transfer to a plate or bowl.
- To the same skillet over medium-high heat add remaining 1 Tbsp. avocado oil. Once oil is hot, add red onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Next add mushrooms and garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms start to soften and give off moisture. Add kielbasa and continue to cook until kielbasa is heated through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the kale to the pan and saute until kale is wilted then toss in the butternut squash noodles and heat through.
- For more heat, add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper. Salt to taste.
What’s your favorite one-dish or one-skillet meal? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Pin it now & Make it later
This post was made possible by our friends at Pederson’s Natural Farms. Though we received compensation for this post, the opinions expressed here are 100% our own. Thank you for supporting the great companies we works with thereby allowing us to continue creating great recipes and content for you.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.